Saturday, 20 October 2012

All settled and artwork takes a new turn

Ghosts of Bangkok D.Price-Ewen 2012
Well, we're all settled into our new life in Bangkok, Thailand.  Lovely new house, lovely company and great but awfully busy full-time job! In fact, apart from the taxi drivers (the majority of whom will take you for a proverbial ride to rip-off town), we love everything about this place!

I've not had much time to art, but the week long holiday ends tomorrow and I finally have something to show.  So, here it is - a new turn for me: abstract.  The choice is deliberate - it is the only style I could think of to reflect my feelings about this ancient city.  The ghosts of the past  are everywhere.  As you move through the city, you also see nature and industry striving to co-exist and, although it's not an impossible existence, there have been some losers as a result of phenomenal progress in this developing country.  These then, are the ghosts of Bangkok.

This new work also heralds the start of a series, keyed towards my first major exhibition which will be staged in Bangkok, naturally.  Just don't ask me when or where exactly! Ha!

I'm also returning to blogging after many tardy, half-hearted attempts.  The fact that I get plenty of teacher holidays make it seem more manageable. I see a few of my old blogging buddies are still here but quite a few have also dropped off the landscape.

18 comments:

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I am so HAPPY to see you writing and making art again...I think all taxi cab people are sometimes tricky! I love you girl...you are so brave! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Debrina said...

Thanks so much, Mary Helen. It has been a very long time but I am indeed back. Love you too!!

rivergardenstudio said...

It's wonderful to see you! Love your description of Bangkok and the taxi drivers. And your new art is very cityish, great shapes!
roxanne

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

One of my faves Debrina. I love the new turn!

Debrina said...

Hi ladies - thanks so much for coming on by and reuniting! It's been a while, huh?

layers said...

What an incredible move.. to Bangkok.
I like how you describe the city.. the ghosts of Bangkok.. the past co-existing with the face paces present. Your new work reflects the changes.

ArtPropelled said...

Hey Debrina! I was thrilled to see (on another blog) that you are blogging again. Glad you are settled and creating art again. We have cousins who live back and forth between Thailand and New Zealand. You never know.... you may bump into Colin and Geraldine.

Debrina said...

Hi everyone - oh Robyn, that sounds like the dream: going back and forth from Thailand to NZ! We're back to NZ in two years and then hopefully back here again :-) We are fat falling in love with Thailand so I think the bonds will grow tight.

azirca said...

Hey there fellow Kiwi. Glad to hear that you are all settled in to your new home.
I love your abstract artwork and your description of your new surroundings.

Debrina said...

Thank so much, Azirca. It's great to have you come by to say hi!!

JafaBrit's Art said...

oh my, how EXCITING and exciting for us to see your new life through your art.

yes, I am still plodding along in blogland and artmaking :)

sending love
corrine aka jafabrit

Caterina Giglio said...

oh Debs, so good to have you back, and I love hearing about your new life ... it must be just amazing... cannot wait to see your new work... xx

Seth said...

Your incredible move to a new world has really been reflected in your incredible new art. A very spirited piece. Soooo happy to have you back in blogland.

Debrina said...

Hi guys, thanks so much. It is great to be back and to be visiting and getting inspired by all your fantastic art!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was thrilled to see you had returned to blogging, even though you have uprooted your life and started over. It's sad to give up a studio, but life's opportunities can't be denied. As they say, "when one door closes, another opens." Looks like yours has opened in not just a new city and country, but also a return to blogging. You were missed, so I'm glad you are back!

Sorry I've not been here sooner. Computer woes kept me away.

Debrina said...

That's ok, Elizabeth. Nice to have you here full stop!

Gaby Bee said...

Hi Debrina, I'm happy to see you back. So pleased that you have started up again. Your new art looks fantastic, I can hardly wait to see more!

Have a great weekend!
Hugs,
Gaby

Debrina said...

Gaby!! Nice to see you here too! It's great to be back - the blogger community is still the very friendliest and most supportive of creative communities and I'm so happy to be back. Your work is looking equally fantastic too and I'm keeping an eye out for any of your updates too. :-)