Tuesday, 13 November 2012

Paper Dolls Gone Awry

What's inside this strange little box?
The altered matchbox of clinical and anatomical treasures!
Complete with pop open door (I used two little domes, which I sewed on).

After some settling in and even more reflection time in Bangkok (it's been over 3 months now since we moved), I have finally fulfilled one of my creative promises!  This promise was one I made back in July to my dear, sweet, incredibly patient cousin Daniel.  Before we left for Thailand, I sold, exchanged and gave away some of my precious creations.  Daniel, in fact, purchased one of my still unfinished mixed media paintings (below).
The plan was to send Daniel three installments (this being the first), which are to be attached by his wife Amber (a curator by trade) to the painting above.  Dan will be doing his own thing with these pieces too (with plans to photoshop and maybe even animate the paper dolls I create).  The first installment is a large altered matchbox (Swedish Sakerhets Tandstickor), covered with end papers from an ancient, age spotted Burmese romance novel (!) and then burnished (to remove air bubbles) and finally finished with a liberal application  of Ranger walnut stain distress ink.

The box is like a little wardrobe, stands on its own and has a little door that pops open and clicks shut.  Another little box of treasures is soon to follow this one, but in the meantime, I'm busy thinking up another theme.  I chose the anatomical theme from the pieces I received from Altered Bits (thanks so much Alicia!) and because I like the idea of something that isn't pretty and perfect (as most paper dolls are).

9 comments:

lyle baxter said...

deb, I am delighted to hear from you Ihad lost you a while ago! being in a new world must be very exciting! whats your boy think about it! I love your abstract. keep on going!

Debrina said...

Lyle - I am so glad we're back in contact! Jason loves Thailand - lots of things to see and do :-)Thanks so much for coming here in turn and saying hi.

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

Oh....love anything anatomical! That is definitely a box I'd love to have in my hands, looking exploring, enjoying....

XXOO~~
Anne

Lisa said...

good to see you back....i hope we can both keep our blogs up to date!! great piece Deb.. with your fantastic complex and textural surface treatment that i can only admire but never even imagine trying to duplicate...

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I had to read this post three times before I got that the box was a matchbox. This is an incredible piece, and I really like what you did. Anything anatomical speaks to me.

Debrina said...

Hi there, you lovely ladies. I'm so enjoying being back on blogger. Thought I'd pop on by to get some inspiration from you all tonight before I apply myself to a day's worth of art tomorrow...so, stand by...!

layers said...

What a change in lifestyle and culture.. to live in Bangkok. You have started a wonderful project with someone close to you (family).

Debrina said...

Thanks Donna - family become even closer when you are further away from them :-)

Gaby Bee said...

This little matchbox looks fantastic, Debrina! Love what you did.

Wishing you a wonderful December!
Gaby xo