Saturday, 6 April 2013

The Keepsake Box




The Keepsake Box - closeup of the door and flower latch - by D.Price-Ewen 2013
Ghostly images underneath the door of the keepsake box - by D.Price-Ewen 2013

The little box that could - the rose box slides to the other side of the larger box it sits in to revels the ephemera underneath it - by D.Price-Ewen 2013
Underneath the lid of the box is a wooden heart backed with blue inked vellum paper - by D.Price-Ewen 2013.
I've decided to return to my favourite theme: altered books and boxes.  My keepsake box, above, is still a work in progress with more work to come on the little pull out book underneath the rose box.  It's nice to get back into playing with mixed media again.  My collecting of all sorts of mixed media supplies from trawling through the city's markets and emporiums is beginning to pay off now that it has come time to finding that "just right" piece that pulls everything together.

A page from the Keepsake Box Book - D.Price-Ewen 2013
(a copy of a mixed media piece I constructed from a paper dress kit supplied by my friend Pania Molloy)

Next week I'll post the finished results of box and book.
Till then, have fun in blog land!
Debrina Altered (D.Price-Ewen)

9 comments:

ArtPropelled said...

Ooo yes your trawling is definitely paying off! Beautiful keepsake box... and I'm so envious of your market adventures. Loving the fourth image!

Debrina said...

Thanks hun, if I could legally do it, I would definitely be exporting into my Etsy store.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It's great to see you making art and posting to your blog again. I missed you. And of course your altered books and boxes have me sitting on the edge of my seat. I look forward to the next installation of this piece.

And I might add, you are one lucky international traveler!!

Lynette (NZ) said...

Gorgeous piece. I love all the elements - wish I could touch it :-)

Debrina said...

Always nice to see you Elizabeth! I'm glad to be back too. Lynette - love you matey!

Alicia said...

Lovely box, my friend. Love the flower! Did you get those there in Bangkok? If so, I may need to send you some money for some. Gorgeous! Can't wait to see more! xx

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Beautiful work Debs. Your art has evolved and changed since you've departed- but- it's a good thing. I loved it before but I totally love where this is going!

Ta for your visits, glad to see your enjoying life.

Debrina said...

Hello lovelies - yes Alicia - got from JJs market. I've already looked you some out, hon! Thanks Lisa - nice to be here in BKK and giving it my all. Glad to hear my art has evolved :-)

Seth said...

This looks like a stunning creation. Definitely one to see in person.