Sunday, 19 May 2013

Eva Filinova

Copyright Eva Filinova - Tinctory 2011
One of the nice things about being a librarian is the discovery of an artist whilst cataloguing my library book purchases.  In this case, Eva Filinova, whose profile and work resides in the book "Embroidery" by Sophie Long.  Published by PageOne this year, Embriodery has all of the standard hand and machine embroidery techniques described and illustrated...but...just as importantly, it also has artist profiles.  I got most excited to discover Eva, because she is way out there in technique, style and has a wonderful appreciation for detail (everything I love myself as an artist).

More importantly, she makes reference to historic textiles, glimpses of nature in the city, romance and fairytale elements.  Her most challenging piece to date? A smocked necklace (like the one above) that contained the text of a poem, clearly visible between the pleats of smocking.

Copyright Eva Filinova - Tinctory 2011
Although a busy mum now, Eva keeps her blog alive with the occassional post, and it is with great pleasure that I can introduce her to you: http://tinctory.blogspot.com/

I hope you find her work as inspiring as I do :-)
Debs



5 comments:

Hindustanka said...

Very beautiful things she makes. thanks for introducing to a wonderful artist!

Debrina said...

Your welcome. I want to emulate that sort of detail in my own work, so look out! Nice to meet you btw!!

Lisa said...

Deb, Her work is unique and stunning...I have one of her pieces purchased before she became a mum. It was a delight to see her beautiful work featured here!

Debrina said...

Hi Lisa - wow, lucky you!!! I dohope motherhood doesn't slow her down too much. I'd love to be able to buy one of her pieces.

Jill - What is a Professional Doctorate? said...

This is a really neat find. I love these pieces they are funky and fresh. Thank you for showing us this awesome find. Anyone who can make a necklace with a poem on it is worth the extra attention.

My homepage: http://online-phd-uk.co.uk/