Monday, 6 May 2013

New cuff; some Zakka style and a rethink on the Keepsake Box

Close up of my Zakka style needle case (D.Price-Ewen)

This Sunday I made myself stay indoors.  Well, there's nothing like spending a whole day in your PJs doing what you love, right?  Also, Bangkok is in the middle of the hot, hot, hot season (we have three seasons here, as the locals like to say: "hot, bloody hot and f#*@ing hot"!) So yeah, I spent the whole of Sunday making things (in my PJs) from cut up bits of Japanese printed cotton and a sewing machine, thread and needle.  
Placement for needles, left and right....

Never make fun of a team of travelling musicians!  You'll get bashed over the head with a violin and stabbed in the chest with a sword!  I got this fabulous, vintage cardboard print from a store in Bangkok and it makes a perfect backing for my needle case - keeping everything nice and flat and unbendable. 

I love the way you can create, with sewing, a functional something from nothing. Above is my first ever Zakka style creation: made up from scratch with nothing to guide me but the material and the practical matter of having somewhere to stash my spare needles.  You wouldn't believe how long this little number took me to make though!  From the meticulous piecing together of the little Zakka rectangles (which still came out crooked and a little wrinkled (no matter how much I ironed) to the vintage French image on the back - a total of 7 hours!  Phew.  I'm glad I'm not on a production line.  I would have been fired on day one!!


I also finished off a hand-sewn cuff I'd been working on (more off than on), for several weeks.  The hand sewing was taking too long, so I finished it on the sewing machine that I made the Zakka needle case on.
Detail of machine embroidery, couching the bronze ribbon I had in my leftover's basket.
The cuff has a been aged in some areas with the liberal use of a lighter and walnut ink and I'm happy with the final result.
closeup of wooden heart and vellum

Finally, I'm having a bit of a rethink on my Keepsake box, which I'm still working on because I'm not happy with the finish on the cover.  I love the inside of the box (see above and below photos) but  I need gesso and crackle medium to finish the cover.  Unfortunately, crackle medium is a bit of a rare commodity here and it is not cheap, so I'm weighing up my options as to whether I buy from the States or not... If anyone knows of a good brand that I can buy online, do let me know!


Well, that's it for another week.  I can't wait for next weekend because I'm getting some Thai cooking lessons and, of course, I want to spend more of the f@#*ing hot season indoors under the aircon where I can create in my pajamas.

Love Debs

5 comments:

suziqu's thread works said...

Hi Deb I'm glad I visited here this evening. It feels like forever that I have!
Your cuffs look so cool in those rich colours and do love your keepsake box!
It's given me food for thought with one I have to alter.
Hope all is going well for you!
x Suzy

lyle baxter said...

deb, there is a simple recipe for making your own crackle substitute but I cant remember where I saw it! sorry but if you hunt online you might find and save a fortune in shipping! your box is very interesting!

Caterina Giglio said...

wow, you have been busy, so glad to see it and lovely work!

Debrina said...

Thanks ladies - I love sewing, so of course, I'm already onto the next project. Lyle, I'll be sure to check out the recipe on the Internet - can't be too far away.

A Magical Whimsy said...

Your creativity is marvelous! My first time on your blog...I came via suziqu's threadworks.