Wednesday, 31 October 2007

Pregnancy and Creativity

2Day's InsPiratioN
Being pregnant with my first has been a test of endurance as far as my creativity goes. The first three months were absolutely draining and, in a cruel twist of irony, the faintest smell of paint was enough to make me rush head first for the nearest empty receptacle. This lovely piece of work by Caravaggio is a great visual for how I felt:

First trimester blues now over, I'm feeling more energised and, though I never thought it would ever happen again, I'm back to my painting! Now in my current sublime state, I would like to pay tribute to all those other pregnant artists out there with a visual snapshot on pregnancy and art:



TOUCH MY TUMMY!


Klimt

Van Eyck

Almqvist

COMMUNICATING!
The painting, above, is from the Australian Aboriginal Series by Imelda Almqvist who has done a fantastic series on pregnancy and parenthood. The painting, above, shows babies communicating - friends already while still in the womb!

A Lasting Tribute

This last painting, done by myself, is of my dear friend Flower and inside her tummy is my god-daughter Anya, now 4. A lasting tribute, I hope, to a beautiful girl and her beautiful mother.

2 comments:

MadSilence said...

Thought you might enjoy this video:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/773464/pregnancy_art/
I love the snow globe & pumpkin!
MadSilence

Art Inspiration 4 Today said...

Thanks for that madsilence, your blog and your ideas, as always, continue to inspire!