Sunday, 3 February 2008

Isabella Blow - When Philip Met Isabella


2day'sInspiration
I just happened to be accompanying my husband Andy and god-daughter Tess down to Wellington yesterday so that Andy could do a spot of scuba diving and Tess and I could have a shot at viewing some of the region's art gallerys. We decided that one of our visits should be The New Dowse in Lower Hutt and by sheer chance stumbled upon the exhibition When Philip Met Isabella. It was the last day of viewing (how lucky we were to catch it!!) and we were absolutely BLOWN away by it ('scuse the pun!). The hats were spectacular - sculptural pieces so perfectly and gloriously crafted that viewing each piece felt like viewing the crown jewels. It was not lost on us that what we were viewing were some of the most finely crafted hats in the contemporary fashion world, which made the actual viewing experience absolutely profound - a once in a life time opportunity.


Isabella Blow, Philip Treacy's muse, sadly committed suicide a couple of years ago (I read this about her in Vanity Fair only a few months before viewing this exhibition) so again, I knew that something special was going on here - this touring exhibition, launched when Isabella was still alive, has now become a living tribute to perhaps one of the most intriguing, eccentric muses the British fashion world has ever seen. As a source of inspiration, Isabella was one of the best, introducing her inspired artisans to the influential few, therefore serving as an essential catalyst towards launching their spectacular careers (Alexander McQueen being another talent spotted and inspired by Isabella). To find out more about this compelling and intriguing creature there is a comprehensive online article written by Tamsin Blanchard from the UK's Observer. Here's a link to the article http://observer.guardian.co.uk/print/0,,4446519-110648,00.html and another article from New York: News and Features :http://nymag.com/news/features/34732/

AN EXCERPT FROM THE OBSERVER:
"Issie Blow is not properly dressed without a hat. And she doesn't plan her hat around the outfit. The hat comes first. 'It's not a mad hatter's tea party,' she says sternly. 'It's meant to be a sensual, erotic display. You're there to get a new husband, a new boyfriend, a new girlfriend, whatever. And you can get it. The hat is a means to an end, a marriage contract. It's everything. It's a sensual thing - the idea of catching somebody like a spider in a web. It's the old fashioned cock-and-hen story, the mating dance. Men love hats. They love it because it's something they have to take off in order to fuck you. Anyone can wear a hat."

4 comments:

Tanya said...

Hi there, this looks fantastic.. I agree they should bring back hats! :)

Thank you

I'm coming back to read more it is very inspiring :)

Art Inspiration 4 Today said...

Ha ha. Thanks Tanya, I keep the blog to keep myself inspired more than anything. I like being able to scroll back thru the archives and see where I was at way back when...

madsilence said...

Thanks for this. Some delightful photos, and I love those hats. An interesting article from New York Magazine: “She was absolutely convinced that if everyone looked glamorous, they would have a better time.” I do feel snazzy when I wear my Irish wool cap.

MadSilence

The Governess said...

I have this gorgeous, gothic black cowboy hat that I love to wear to concerts. In fact, I got this beauty at the BDO (NZ Big Day Out) last year when it was a real scorcher of a summer. Now whenever I wear it I remember that fabulous day...