Friday, 17 April 2009

A Little Peek at my Mail Art for Altered Bits



Just a tiny peek. Certainly, I hope (!) not enough to spoil it for Altered Bits when it arrives in her letterbox in the next week or two. The picture's looking a little squint because I scanned it in crooked, so rest assured, your eyes aren't playing tricks on you. I have learned a lot about pen and ink drawing by the number of doodles I've been doing recently and I feel confident enough now to start doing illustrative work with them. The lower part of the envelope (the yellow line drawing) is in its first stage. I will slowly build up the ink layers from light to dark to a completed vignette like the others surrounding it. I'll be putting in a couple of atc's too (those will most definitely be kept as a surprise though!) plus a few other goody goody yum yums....


The other bit of news is that stage one of the disintegration collaboration project is nearly over. Seth has sent us all our next set of instructions and as of the 1st of May we will commence the next stage. My bundle was hardly touched by nature while it was hanging in my oak tree, not even a scrap of bird poo! So I took it down the other night and dropped it into our pond. Today I hauled it out like some half drowned cat and took a photo of it. It still doesn't look like it's been touched much, so I'm going to bury it tonight, muh ha ha. So... when I do finally get to do something with it, it will have been hanged, drowned and buried. Nice!



Finally, I've entered a swap on Swap Bot for vintage paper (and other extra bits and pieces). That's the packet, above, that I've made up for some lucky bugger at the other end of the exchange. When I made it up I thought, ooh I could keep this and make something with it, lol! It's amazing how just sorting things into little collections in your studio makes for an inspiring session! Anyway, I talked a little bit about this great swap forum a couple of postings ago. I'm not sure if it's still open, but if you are interested in joining in on the vintage swap, then click on the book a couple of posts down. If you're just generally interested in finding out more about swap bot, click here for their home page: http://www.swap-bot.com/

10 comments:

Renee said...

Your friend will be a lucky duck to receive that random letter.

xoxo

alteredbits said...

i am one lucky, lucky girl! i almost posted a sneak peek at yours yesterday but decided not to (don't worry, that fetus and uterus piece is not for you). thank you so much, sweets! i'm very excited!! i finished your first ATC last night and will start your second today. i'll hopefully have it done tomorrow, then will take a day or two to find some "bits" to put into your wee package. then off to you by mid-week.

i love what you've done for your disintegration piece. one of mine (the one i did with my son) is a pile of mushiness. the other looks virtually untouched so i think i may bury it for a few days.

Debrina said...

Hello AlteredBits, thank you Renee! I've so enjoyed doing this - it brings real meaning into your artwork doing this! Very satisfying!!

Flower's Page said...

Christ on a crotch mate! How lucky am I to know you...now I'm thinking, do you think we could make some kind of metal..brain swapping...talent machine like on wallace and grommit?
P.S derswax...What the?

Debrina said...

Mate - get out of here. The only swap I wanna do is either mail art, atc or vintage. Verification word: gloam

????

I think there's definitely a weird sort of poetry to these word verifications....

Flower's Page said...

Mate I $#@!%& up my blog background loading up a lunar calendar! I fixed it up using font colours!lol let me know what you think of the newby. I quite like the simplicity!
p.s I love my title pic. Thanks mate!
....entogi

Marie Reed said...

YOu should feel very confident because this is just gorgeous!

Kerin said...

Wow! The mail art rocks!!!

That's pretty funny what you're doing to your disintegration piece. I just picture you torturing it in all sorts of new ways until it starts breaking down.

Really glad you're part of the Altered Bits group and I look forward to getting to know you Debbie. : )

Flower's Page said...

Mate I can finally get to your blog via clicking on your latest post via my blog!! How exciting...Am I slurring

Corrine said...

Hey there,
So cool what you are doing to your disintegration project...hung drowned and buried, lovely. I look forward to the recreation. I'm itching to start teasing my bundles open...must be patient, must be patient...I wonder if a heat gun will work to dry them out quicker