Tuesday, 14 April 2009

Mixed Media Installation by James Robinson

Photos copyright. D.Price-Ewen 2009


Today I went and visited the Sarjeant Gallery (Wanganui, New Zealand) and by sheer luck came across this fantastic mixed media exhibition by James Robinson called "The Flood". Luckily, I had my camera on me, so was able to take some fabulous close ups of his phenomenal work which comprised about a dozen giant pieces of canvas and paper and goodness knows what else, hung in large mixed media strips from nails in the wall. The Sarjeant is perhaps one of the best art galleries in the world for lighting, so every little detail could be seen to its best advantage.

I was also fortunate enough to talk to the artist himself, who told me it took him 9 months of hard work at Tylee Cottage in Wanganui to complete. An amazing feat - these are HUGE pieces and meticulously rendered. Amazingly, he had not heard of Michael de Meng!! Let me tell you, my dear friends, I made damn sure he did by the time I'd left, lol! Anyway, my god-daughter and I had to do several viewing rounds of each piece to appreciate the sheer amount of detail in his work and we are quite sure we could go back again and still not find everything he had incorporated into his work!

And...oh...will you look at those colours!!!!!!!!

8 comments:

Seth said...

Looks amazing. So much detail, so many layers, and such beautiful colors. Must have been exceptional in person. How lucky to have met with the artist as well!

Debrina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Gypsy said...

Wow - they are amazing, so rich! Thanks for sharing

Debrina said...

He has shown in NY and most probably will continue to do so, so Seth and Jazzworks - keep your eyes peeled.

Lisa said...

wow.. the work on the top is my kind of art...amazing layers and textures that melt into one another!

We do have the same blog background!! We surely share similar taste in art and ideas. Your collage work is really lovely...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your kind comments!

alteredbits said...

What amazing work! I love all of the colours, layers and details. Thank you so much for having me come peek -- I always adore learning of new, fabulous artists.

Enjoy your tea, scones and visit with James!

Debrina said...

Ha ha, thanks Altered Bits, he is sleeping in his old cold studio afterall! Scones and tea always warm the cockels of one's art.

Corrine said...

Wow fantastic, what a wonderful work of art. I wish I lived closer so I could go and take a peek in person too.