Thursday, 4 June 2009

Ace of Pentacles and Goodbye Heidi

Ace of Pentacles by D.Price-Ewen 2009
Next in my interpretation of the tarot. This one is based on the card that Alicia from Altered Bits pulled for me - The Ace of Pentacles
To me, the Ace of Pentacles symbolises the duality of life and death and the triplicate nature of time: past, present and future.
In my interpretation, I have chosen a blindfolded woman to symbolise the unknown. In her left hand (the subconscious) she grasps a single pentacle. There is a hole in this pentacle, which symbolises the future and the past (as represented by the Universe). If we are lucky, we may see both ways, but not all of us have that luxury. Time is therefore behind the blindfolded woman, never in front of her. It shocks me sometimes how brutal life can be: illness, misery, poverty, sadness, death...a myriad of tragedies...these things can threaten anyone of us at any time. In this sense, I have often felt like the blindfolded woman - never knowing what to expect next, but hoping upon hope that I have the foresight and the tools to survive the impact.

Goodbye Heidi by D.Price-Ewen 2009

6 comments:

Ali said...

I'm loving the tarot stuff debs, it's great, Heidi's title made me feel sad though x

The Gypsy said...

I like this one a lot, Debs. What's next?

Debrina said...

Hi you two! And, thank you! I have two more tarot ones to do. The Heidi picture is for a family who are very dear to us. They lost Heidi, sadly, a couple of months ago...she was 9 years old. I offered to do this sketch of her when she was in her prime.

Seth said...

Ace is just aces D! And it is nice to read the thoughts behind your choices.

Mary Yates said...

This is wonderful! I've always wanted to do a photo tarot. These give me a lot of food for thought. Are you planning to publish them commercially?

Debrina said...

Hi Seth, Hi Mary. Thanks for stopping by! Hmmm...I hadn't thought about making a commercial tarot...that's a lot of cards! I must say, though, that the two I have done so far have helped me understand better the tarot's secrets. Perhaps if I plug away at it over many years I may have a pack worthy of publishing?