Sunday, 12 July 2009

Black and White, Jill Maas, and My Studio

What a busy weekend I've just had: working on Altered Bit's next zine challenge: Black and White, a visit to Jill Maas' studio and a couple of photos of my studio + my new inspiration board (inspired a wee while ago by Seth's own Inspiration Board posting).


So first up, here's the start of my Black and White zine contribution. For this, I've decided to reverse a shadow box. The little bottles are filled with white and black substances respectively, and the background (behind the glass - and excuse the reflection) is a stamped silk remnant using an Indian wooden cloth stamp. Then, the addition of a vintage story book text from the Pilgrim's Progess. I've inked the frame using black ink and a creamy white folk art paint - the ink to get that antique look I so love. Next I plan on making a paper mache doll, similar to this one (Thanks Holli from Holli's Shop for the Inspiration):


...only she will have arms and little hands and she will be wearing a black and white striped ensemble... well, that's the plan anyway. I'm confident I can do it, the skills are tucked in there still from my old art-doll making days.... Anyway, when she's done she will go to the foreground of the box. My inspiration of course is from Holli but also from my visit to my dear friend Jill Maas' doll studio today. Here's what I came back with (she is so generous that beautiful woman!). Not a great pic but it's night-time now so we have to put up with the crap lighting...



As you can see, I got an original Jill Maas HEAD! Lol! This was a fun day: we did lots of play in her studio, including silk dying and me making entrails out of a ton of old braids she scored from a friend's upholstery business. Here's what I mean by entrails - I've basically pulled on the braiding every couple of inches to make the individual threads reappear, sort of like reverse macrame, lol! This braid was white originally, so I introduced it to the burgundy and gold silk paints...

To complete my post, I'd like to now hark back to one of Seth's (The Altered Page) postings: Inspiration Board III. I loved his inspiration board (please do go and check it out). So I immediately realised I needed to get my one up and running again too. So I have begun my new board, which is actually a wall ...and I thought I might show you also where all this art work happens, so here's a peek at my studio too:

My desk:

My studio:


My Inspiration Wall:

13 comments:

Lisa said...

Love what you've created for the black and white challenge..stunning!! And you are so ahead of the deadline!!!

Debrina said...

Hello Lisa - thanks for stopping on by! I'm so excited you are joining us in the Black and White challenge! You are aren't you? I can't WAIT to see what YOU contribute, girl! It will be gorgeous...I know that much!!! And thanks for the heads up on my entry. You're a sweety! Also, being the voracious reader that I am, I'm ordering that Vorenberg book up for my library you've written about on your blog. Sounds riveting.

Lisa said...

Thanks for your vote of confidence...when i read about the B & W challenge I really liked the idea as those are my ultimate non-colors though I've haven't done anything in those tones for awhile so I'll have to see what happens!
The book is a wondeful read.. you won't be disappointed!

Seth said...

Your B & W piece is looking amazing already. I am curious to see what happens next. Great to see your art space and inspiration wall too!! And thank you for yor kind words!

Debrina said...

Hi again Lisa and hello Seth! Well, it was a great posting that one - I think your next challenge should be an Inspiration Board Challenge! What do you reckon?

Renee said...

All looking amazing Debrina.

I hope that you are doing well and I love to see your beautiful smile.

Love Renee xoxo

ckw said...

Thanks for stopping over at my place-i really like the doll idea- and you studio -oh so neat and tidy- thanks again-
ckw

alteredbits said...

holy cow! see what happens when i go out of town??!? i return not only to a lovey message from you but this wonderful, fabulous, marvelous, tremendous post!! i am so very excited, lovely lady! this is already so grand and i cannot wait to see it when it's done. and stripes! i love black and white stripes! (you know this though) i'm just all kinds of giddy with bliss over here!

and your studio and inspiration wall are great too. you are so organized. you'd die if you saw the current state of my studio. i'll take photos one of these days... and my inspiration board i'm working on too.

but back to your piece -- i lovelovelovelove it! can't wait to see the end result, sweets!

alteredbits said...

lisa, you're a rock star -- i would love for you to play if you feel compelled to do so. and yep, she's right, debs -- i had to go look up the deadline again -- i'm horrible these past couple of weeks! it's 9/1. i couldn't remember if it was the 1st of 15th.

Viola said...

Wonderful artwork on your blog! :o)

Debrina said...

Hello ckw, Renee, Alicia and Viola (you've got a nice blog there Viola!). Thanks for popping on by!

01/09/2009 (or as you Americans like to write it 09/01/2009) is the deadline for Altered Bit's Black and White Zine entry everybody!!

Margaret said...

well, well, will you look at that, I click on Seth's Altered Art page and the first one I land on is a Kiwi and a Librarian to boot (I'm both of those) this is the buried treasure afterall! love your style! I'll enjoy checking out your back posts, yet more distraction eek! M

JafaBrit's Art said...

I love black and white painting, so I really enjoyed looking at your project. sounds like you had a super weekend :) and I like the idea of an inspiration wall.