Tuesday, 7 July 2009

Disintegration Project and more Fairy Magic


Latest Fairies...


Ok, I'll make no bones about it. I love fairies. It goes without saying, therefore, that I totally believe in fairies. They often come into my studio and play with things...that's why I can never find that important piece I need to complete my artwork with or why my little bird's nest I collected last summer (below) is always warm in the morning...

..and now for some progess on my/Seth's disintegration project:

'Scuse the squintiness, but I had to take the picture at an angle to show up the glint of the copper and recycled smint's tin I've incorporated into this piece. Here's what the tin used to look like before alteration (there it is directly under the ribbon):

I've also used the canvas, the old newspaper and bits of the journal pages. I layered the canvas with the papers, then layered it with gel medium and coppery colours (including blue and green) then smothered it in gold paint. Then I ripped the canvas off its frame to expose the stained mould residues on the wood. I've left a bit of this stained wood showing still on the frame (right hand side). The old layered canvas has been strategically placed back onto the frame, along with tree images to form a decoupaged frame. The tin from the old Smints packet was cut into strips with tin snips then wrapped in copper wire. I've started to place these wrapped slithers around the edge of the frame. Next - a fabric tree collage will be placed under the frame to show through. I'll be using the ribbon and fabric that was exposed in the elements for that...

Phew! Stay tuned my friends for the next installment, stay tuned!

11 comments:

Jill said...

I think you are light years ahead of most of Seth's DisCo club, or maybe just light years ahead of me. Your design is so intricate. What more can you do in your next installment? You'll keep us guessing! Thanks so much for your visit again. You made me smile! Jill

Debrina said...

Thank you Jill, just thought I better get onto it that's all. I'm doing heaps of other things as well you see (so bloomin' busy - but I love it that way) - including Altered Bit's Black and White 'zine, an altered art scavenger hunt challenge, swap-bot stuff, doodling, mail art...You probably get the idea!

The Gypsy said...

Debs - I love fairies, too, and I love your art fairies.
Hugs

Seth said...

I really like where this is going Debrina. I especially love the fact that the "new" piece really captures a sense of disintegration. I am intrigued to see what you do next.

Debrina said...

Glad you stopped on by again Seth, and HELLO Gypsy!

alteredbits said...

this is going to be utterly fabulous, i can already tell! so fabulous indeed, that i think i should toss out what i started for my disintegration project. :P i promise that mine is nowhere near as cool or compelling as yours.

heading out of town for a few days and will miss peeking in on you, sweet friend. when i find them though, i have some fairies for you! i love them too but that's where my boys put their foots down -- they are fine with the naked ladies but don't want to "deal" with fairies. how have i married and who did i give birth to!!!? sheesh.

and ohoh, my book came today that you suggested i get! in PERFECT time for me to head out of town tomorrow for a wee bit. i have to get up at 5 am so any am i up? 'cause i loves ya and want to send you a quick g'bye hug before i go!

alteredbits said...

(eek, sorry for the novel!)

Corrine said...

Looking good! Mine hasn't progressed much further since I'm continually arranging everything and then rearranging it all...I tell myself it is part of the process. ha!
No fairies at my house:( but screeds of them up at our section. In the meadow and in the wild forest, up near the stone fort, and especially in the brambles. I can tell by the huge fairy rings in Autumn.

Debrina said...

Yes, sadly, some fairies are banned from domestic hearths...especially by the lads for some reason. Hubby just lives with my conviction all the same - afterall, he married me, fairies and all! Lol! And Corrine, you of course live in fairy country! They prefer the South you know - it's coz all the Scots and Irish are down your way, and they are great believers let's face it!
Oooh talk of your back section reminds me of a poem:

In yon green wood there is a waik,
And in that waik there is a wene,
And in that wene there is a maike,
That neither has flesh, blood, nor bane,
And down in yon green-wood he walks his lane...

Corrine said...

OOooo lovely poem.
I've copied it into my journal Thanks.

Sabii Wabii said...

very interesting piece