Saturday, 15 August 2009

The Art of Friendship


Copyright D.Price-Ewen 2009

My focus these last couple of weeks has been on more mail art. Two aspects in particular: friendship books and ATCs. The ATC above is part of an insert for the friendship book I have made for my friend Flower who has recently moved to another part of the district. As her birthday is coming up shortly I thought it would be nice to bundle this up inside a mail art envelope and send it off. As you can probably tell (?) I made the book myself. Back in the day when I was training in librarianship, I did a stint in book-binding, so I dredged up this skill from those days gone by and gave it another go.


Copyright D.Price-Ewen 2009

Here's the book in its entirety above - front and back cover spread-eagled. I have been having a lot of fun experimenting with faux paint and mixed media techniques in order to get that rustic, layered and authentic look I have come to love - particularly in the ATC above. A nice discovery I made whilst decorating the cover of the book, was the use of old, nearly dried up rub-ons. The word Delicate on the front cover, was an old rub-on layered over dye mixed with background paint prep. As I slowly removed the film that the rub-on was on, it began to peel the not-quite-dry paint away to leave the background colour and the word that was supposed to have been black, white instead. The rub-on, of course, did not stick - as that was what pulled the paint away. I'd love to know if anyone else has had success with this accidental discovery of mine or whether it was just sheer fluke on my part that it worked as well as it did? As you can see, the word "Beginning" actually stuck to the book, with only a little of the paint peeled away. I still like the end result, however.

Next, another ATC that fits into the book:

ATC "Flower's Angel" Copyright D.Price-Ewen 2009

Now for a quick mention about my friend Lyle, who recently took some of my own mail art send-offs and made more art with them. Titled, The Mysterious Lady from New Zealand, Lyle turned this envelope I made (and the contents inside of it):


Into this:


Wow Lyle! You rock!!! And if I may say so...I really DO look good in red!

16 comments:

lyle baxter said...

deb now we know why you wanted the hi res pics. sorry we couldnt help! but those on your post look great and thank you for the compliments! I like what I could see of the book for "flower" .gyedlher name could get you into many pictures couldnt it! lyle

luthien said...

those are really lovelY!! and my gosh ... i love your accidental mistake! it turned out aged and beautiful :) the effect on "beginning" is really cool too. but the first picture on your post is my favorite! so well made it could have passed off as an antique in a sotherby's auction! simply exquisite!

Mar said...

she will love her thoughtfully artistic and beautiful gift!

you do indeed look good in red!

La Dolce Vita said...

oh la la! love your book! yummy!!!

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful work Deb!!! Good to hear from you! Sorry that Flower has moved! I love making new books out of old and love all of the rstic work that you ahve accomplished here!!
hugs!
elizabeth

Margaret said...

Debrina, I love your blog posts, so full of inspiration!! great to see you using those library talents with a gorgeous result. Mx

Lisa Sarsfield said...

Wow, what a wonderful present! I am sure this will be treaured!
Book binding, thats on the cards for me somewhere along the line. feels like a natural skill for me to learn. I love that a librarian is altering books! lol

Seth said...

These are all beautiful. Love the look of the book - and that first ATC is so dynamic...loving the colors.

Debrina said...

Hello everyone, thanks to you all for your comments. I'll always try and get back to you all, so stay tuned for a comment on your blog too!

Lisa said...

beautiful book...the word on the back came out perfectly and your binding looks magnificient..really fabulous work of art! thanks so much for your sweet compliments on my blog;)

La Dolce Vita said...

thanks for your kind comments about the journal! I would let you read it cover to cover! cat

Patti said...

wow, such fabulous work, and such a lucky friend, no one would ever know the cover had an accidental discovery on it:) I've never had a rub-on do that... what kind of dye were you using?
the art Lyle made from your pieces is amazing!

jgr said...

Hi Debrina (I love your name) Your work is lovely!
I'm so glad to discover your blog. Thank you for the comment, too.

Debrina said...

Patti, the dye I used is FAS (Fine Art Supplies) liquid dye. It's made in New Zealand and dirt cheap: $3.50 for a 50ml bottle. I'm sure you have something similar over your way - it's just high intensity water/liquid dye. The key I think was the fact that the undercoat (white primer) was dry but the dye wasn't quite and the dye clung to the rub-on more than the primer.

Kim said...

What a fab result from the unintentional. Don't you just love that, when it all works. It looks fab. Hmmm, might have to dig my old rub ons now LOL!

3rdEyeMuse said...

everything looks so rich ... what wonderful birthday love. :)