Tuesday, 4 August 2009

From across the seas and over yonder hills...


Hello everybody and thank you so much for all of your AMAZING, kind, generous, loving and supportive comments this last week, during the big DisCo reveal (see last post). Your comments meant the world to me; they warmed the cockles of my heart, and so, as that is also where my son and Lenny live (where Lenny's spirit lives on, at least), I can't thank you enough for making that event the most touching of my creative life to date.

Now that the DisCo project has had its day (sadly), it is time for me to finally post the fabulous mail art I have received these last few weeks. Truly, I have been getting the most amazing stuff from you. I just hope that what you get back from me does justice to some of your art-work and gifts. So, as I post the mail art I receive from you, I will also follow up with photographic evidence of what I send in return (after you receive my mail, of course! I wouldn't want to spoil it for you!!).

So here we go!
LYLE'S mail art (note the gorgeous hand print above, too)...



I just love her hand-printed sheep, don't you? I stacked these little cut-outs one on top of the other before I scanned them...and check out those gorgeous little cards above that cute little angel? Behind all this is more of Lyle's woodblock prints. Stunning Lyle, thank you!

And as you all no doubt know by now, I love owls. So of course, Lyle couldn't help herself and made me some little owls.



I have now christened them the Wesley-Lyle owls, after their maker and after a book Lyle just recently recommend I read called Wesley the Owl . Here he is here (isn't he such a cute baby owl!!)

- this is apparently a heart-wrenching but also heart-warming story about a little owl called Wesley who was rescued and then brought up by the author, Stacey O'Brien. The story spans 19 years of owl and human togetherness, and by all accounts, it is an absolutely adorable little story...so of course, I just can't wait for it to come up on reserve for me at my local library!! Let me know if you do read it, I'd love to know what you think. ALSO, if there are any owl fans among you (??) then I would like to challenge you to a little something. Wouldn't you like to make one of these little cuties? This is Julie's owl from Art4Moi. It is so adorable, I'm going to make one for myself. If you too would like to make one, then I'd love to see it. I'm very keen to do a whole posting just on these little owls!! So let me know if you're up for the challenge!
Well, my post doesn't quite end here. I still have two other fabulous mail artists to introduce to you. Next up is Sarah from Sarah's Tentative Artsy Steps. Sarah is right into her doodle art or zentangles and I have watched her this year and a bit go from strength to strength with these fantastic creations. So, here's a look at her mail art:


and the contents of this gorgeous envelope are here:


I just love Sarah's colour palate - so soft and mellow...and her doodles are to die for. I am so pleased to have received this bundle of gorgeousness Sarah, so thank you.


Now for Lisa Sarsfield's mail art. Lisa herself, has just begun her own mail art syndicate, so if you'd like to mail art her, please do. Just click on her nest envelope above and you will be taken to its enlarged version on her blog site. Anyway, hat's off to Lisa for her gorgeous collage envelope: hand-made paper, wrapped in twine, with layers of goodies underneath that gorgeous nest. Inside, some lovely collage images for me to play with! Hooray!!! Thanks once again, Lisa! And your postcards (see her blog again) are to die for!!

Well, in return for the mail art I receive, I always do my darnedest to reciprocate. Here below is a sample of mail art I've sent off to date (from the time I first started this mail art lark).





Mail art is such a heap of fun, providing you find mail art partners who are trustworthy and AS equally generous as yourself. It's a great way to share ideas and swap goodies. If you want to participate, send me some mail art!

20 comments:

lyle baxter said...

what a delightful post. I love seeing all the mail goodies you receive. mail art is fun! thank you for all the nice things you say ! lyle

luthien said...

what wonderful exchanges!!! btw... i love your mail art! they are absolutely gorgeous!!

La Dolce Vita said...

thanks for sharing your wonderful mail with us, it looks like so much fun and all the pieces are so lovely!

Mar said...

such treasures!

Patti said...

what a great post! such treasures, indeed, glad to see that you're enjoying them!

Kim said...

Wow, Deb! So many wonderful pieces here. The poor postie must be highly amused! Everyone elses deliveries must be positively boring by comparison! LOL!

Debrina said...

They really are so much fun! Treasures indeed, especially when you're on the receiving end!!!

alteredbits said...

wowz! you're a lucky little girl, my sweet friend. but even more, you have some lucky friends! i did, of course, recognize "my" mail art in there! that is from the great and wonderful YOU!

i didn't know you liked owls. how did i not know this? that makes me kinda sad in a weird way (that i didn't know, NOT that you like owls). so now, of course, you must list for me 13 of your favorite things and email it to me within the next 11 days. :)

big hugs!! i should be sleeping. :)

xx

alteredbits said...

oh, you're awake while i should be sleeping! you left a comment on a blog a mere 7 minutes or so before i did. i am inadvertently following you around.

Lisa Sarsfield said...

Aww, those owls are lovely. I love owls too! You've given and recieved some real treasures!You've done a great job of displaying all these lovely things and thanks heaps for the blog link ups! I definately enjoyed our swap!

PS: Hope you had a HAPPY Birthday!

bubblemunch said...

Thanks Deb for sharing art mail :-) It's so much fun!

Debrina said...

Actually, it occurred to me that I have never overtly advertised teh fact that I love owls until now. BUT, I have always had this interest listed in my profile...so apologies to all for ASSUMING (and we all know, to assume is to make an "ass" out of "u" and "me")that you have checked my profile!

3rdEyeMuse said...

how brilliant!

The Gypsy said...

Lovely goodies! Enjoy.
Hugs

Jacky said...

Hi Debrina....fellow owl lover. Great post and I will definately keep an eye out for that book, sounds very interesting!
Jacky xox

Also, I have your tragic fashion couple residing with me at the moment (thanks to Robyn at Artpropelled). Would love it if you could explain what I need to do in this swap? Do they just live with me for a while and then I send them on to another art friend, or what is the *swap* part/mail art part? Look forward to hearing from you soon.

notmassproduced said...

i'm desperate for the day that i have enough time to join in mail art projects. u have received some beautiful treasure. enjoy :o)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your mail art is simply gorgeous. Yes, you have received some beauties, but I was blown away by your art cards (the four you showed). They are amazing and I would love to know more about them. They are not only beautiful, but also look very textural.

Can't wait to see what you do with your board books, too. I'm glad I could inspire you in some small way, although you certainly need no inspiring, since your art is amazing.

ArtPropelled said...

Debrina, your mail art is fantastic and this post is a joy with all the artwork. I also love owls and have 2 of my own Art4moi owls. Your unfortunate couple has arrived safely in Oz to spend a few days or weeks with Jacky of Art4Moi.

Lyle's envelopes are enchanting aren't they? My post office can't resist opening them. They know they are special and want to have a good squizz inside and out.

Debrina said...

Hey everyone, thanks for the continuing lovely comments. I'm so glad the tragic fashion couple are off again - Australia this time, aye??

alteredbits said...

hello my sweetness! i haven't heard from you in a wee bit and hope you're great! while my package is en route to you, you may want to avoid my blog as i've posted a secret photo on there that you can't yet see.

hugs and love! hope you're great!!