Sunday, 1 November 2009

Pulp Redux, Art Exchange and Another ATC


A Halloween Special - "Reap and Ye Shall Sow"
An ATC for Alicia Caudle
Copyright 2009 D.Price-Ewen

Oh lordy but it's been a busy week.  I came to the end of it wanting to just sleep instead of do art
We super women of the 21st century...running a household, managing a full-time job, making sure the family are fed, clothed, sheltered, loved and happy...it sometimes feels like mission impossible..and yet somehow, I managed to slip into my studio this week!  Not so this weekend, however (spring cleaning called)!  Indeed, I actually feel like I need another art holiday...so if there's anyone out there who wants to sponsor me on a trip to Paris for a couple of weeks, I'd be most appreciative:


Photo courtesy of Hotel Lois II

Well, some important things have been happening on my art radar this week.  The first is my piece to Seth as part of the Art Exchange all of us are (probably) participating in by now.  If you are NOT participating in this fantastic exchange but would like to, let me know and I'll be sure to pass on your name to those who still have artist friends to find:



Art Exchange piece for Seth Apter
"Luck of the Draw"
Copyright 2009 D.Price-Ewen

This is the sister collage to the ATC I did for Alicia (the first picture posted above).  Lyle from Just a Note (hi Lyle!) sent me these gorgeous little tarot pictures in the post and I just had a ball incorporating them into my mixed media work.  Seth's picture, above, really plays on the theme of the wheel of fortune.  What goes up, must come down and vice a versa.  So the cogs of life do turn...

Another little (well, not so little) project of mine is Lisa Sarsfield's Pulp Redux altered book round robin.  Here's a few pictures of what I've been up to:

This is my portfolio (the cover of my altered book).

The portfolio actually folds up to protect and contain the actual book itself.  Here's the front of the portfolio:



Although...I'm not entirely happy with the front of the portfolio, so any suggestions on how I could pimp it up would be greatly appreciated.

The book itself is now being altered.  I have a story that goes with my first couple of pages.  To read this story - it's about the infamous Maude Newton (my main character) - click here and scroll down till you get to the bit about Maude.  You'll know your there because there's a photo of her next to her late husband.

Also on my radar at the moment is a neat little mail art project run by Gandha Key.  It's called "Cafes of the World."  If you want to participate, or just view some of the amazing art that's coming through to him, click here to find out more: http://www.zyarts.com/cafesaroundtheworld/
Here's his advert by the way:



Ohhh and I almost forgot.  I'm having a break this week on my blogger spotlight post.  Next week it's all about JafaBrit.  Stay tuned for then!

Love Debrina

21 comments:

lyle baxter said...

hi, deb love todays pictures using the tiny tarot paper. I'm amazed at how well they show up! your portfolio is interesting but it needs some creepy body parts to give the eye more power ! does that make sense? good luck lyle

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I like the eye in your Pulp Redux project. I had a close look at the cover before you added anything to it. I see you used some of that great crackle paint.

The ATCs are simply amazing. I know Seth will love his. I must loosen up a bit on my painting if I am to ever get the lovely shading and layers you achieve.

MrCachet said...

I think a little dripping color would work - starting right at the top edge. I know the eye is the focal point, but you need to stop the looking and bring the focus back down. Just me...

Mar said...

all great...
i like the suggestions for the portfolio project
but i also like it subdues...
maybe some drippy places?

and if you find a sponsor for that trip let me know that worked out!
i could use one of those...

seth should enjoy his piece!

La Dolce Vita said...

just loved the piece you did for Seth! and I love the chewy texture of your portfolio too! great work!

Debrina said...

Lyle and Dave - those are BOTH brilliant ideas! I'll do the drippy thing first then add the body parts (I know just the thing!).

Hi Elizabeth, Mar and Cat. You gals are so nice with your compliments!

Patti said...

Hey you! I thought you were sending your piece to me!! I want it!
Ha, I did get six artists though and I've mailed my odd bit to Alicia - can't wait to see how all of this turns out, thanks for inviting me.

x o x o

kiwicarole said...

Deb my fav piece is your ATC, I'm not into holloween or body parts, but I simply love the colours, the textures and the layers! Really cool!
Carole :)

Poetic Artist said...

Wonderful post. Your ATC is wonderful. You have so many wonderful projects. Thanks for sharing.
Katelen

jill said...

How lucky can Seth get with your artwork for him Debrina. It's just wonderful. Love the three images and I know he will too. I like the drippings that were mentioned for your eye piece- I think the thought is that the eye is so central, you can have other things going on. Just received a wondeful eyeglass piece from Alicia, had a few thoughts. First, you could put the old fashioned magnafying piece around the eye and the second is just some type of framing around the eye- either some of your drop dead gorgeous doodling or other type scrollwork. Just my thoughts!

alteredbits said...

oooh, i lovelovelove the ATC you did for me! you are the best in the world and i adore you, my sweet friend!

i LOVE your other piece too. that is FANTASTIC!! are you doing the art exchange twice? 'cause i had to send it to seth and sent you the invitation which meant you would be sending to jill. i bet you are doing it twice because you are a rock star and a half! seth is a lucky boy either way!!

for a second there i about wet myself because i thought that photo was of YOUR house. i wanted to move right in. ;) i need to be working on the same very things all this week... and my book too! i adore yours, by the way. you are doing such a phenomenal job on it!

lovin' ya!

alteredbits said...

PS i like the front of your book though agree with jill that some of your fancy scroll work could be great. i adore it as is though because it leaves so much to the imagination and makes me want to look inside all the more... which i'll get to do in like... a year. ;) i didn't think about it until now that i will be the last person to work on yours. fun, fun!

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

OUR pulp redux project thankyou very much! Not just mine by a long shot:) Your Art work's looking fabulous, it certainly dosn't give away the fact that you've been so busy! Each piece looks as if you spent a long time lovingly crafting!

JafaBrit's Art said...

I love the stitches OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! and that eyeball, I love that eyeball.
Your blog is always a delight to visit :)

I actually like the front with the eye as is, well maybe a dripping effect (but I don't think it's needed). I like the simplicity of it, and the crackle effect is marvelous.

and BLUSH! thanks for wanting to do a blog entry about moi :)

Jacky said...

Your altered book looks amazing...cant wait to see more of it, great portfolio idea.
The tarot cards in Seth's piece are great. Must pop over to his blog and take a look.
Hey if you find anyone who wants to sponsor that trip to Paris, count me in...wouldnt that be a wonderful, arty trip!
Was thinking we could maybe do a swap for a little owl...let me know what you think?

Jacky xox

Debrina said...

Hello all you lovely ladies and gentlemen! I did some more on my portfolio last night. Jafabrit - do not fear, I haven't detracted from the eye piece; merely enhanced its position as a centre-piece. Jacky! Hello Jacky - I could never refuse a swap with you! And, of course, we're talking owls here!! I have just the thing for you! Yes, let's do a swap. From one owl lover to the other.

Panz said...

Lmao you are so funny! got your note on my blog. love the new look btw. love u ;)

Seth said...

As everybody has said... I am a lucky guy! I received your piece for the Art Exchange and it is fantastic. Looks even better in person. Such great layering you achieved and those three tarot cards are just perfect. Thank you!!

Anneke said...

what a beautiful atc,s i see here
i like the texture and mix from colors very much

Debrina said...

Panz - i love you!
Seth - you're very welcome. I'm bloody glad you like it!!! Art's such a subjective thing...
Anneke - why thank you! I'm coming to check you out....

Viola said...

Stunning artwork again, Debs! Great job as always, my dear! Have a wonderful weekend! :o)