Monday, 7 December 2009

Pulpy things...


Well, if you know me well, you'll know I like to launch myself into any new project with speedy aplomb.  So, without further ado, let me introduce to you the start of the next instalment of Alicia's Pulp Redux book, The Museum of Forgotten Things

I've picked up where Alicia left off.  Hester, our main character, has shut herself away in her house after murdering her husband (this part of the story is Alicia's invention and is told so well by Alicia using various invented documents in her book - you'll see these in due time after each of us from Pulp Redux has completed our respectrive books).  Thus, Hester's house, like her mind, has become something of a museum and a prison...there are things in it she'd rather forget but can't.  However, although Hester has become a recluse, this does not prevent her from taking many a secret lover!  So, although a part of Hester's life is lost forever (Paradise Lost) she has gained a new one - albeit tainted with grief and guilt but also coloured with secrets and passions.




Now a bit about what I've been up to.  Well, as you can see in the picture immediately above, I have made good use of an old Cigar box that I purloined from the Sanson market for only two bucks (!) this weekend.  Perfect!  It fits the format and size of Alicia's book perfectly.  I love the fact that it's Jamaican and that one of my favourite stories in the whole wide world is Jean Rhy's Wide Sargasso Sea.  Hester reminds me of the mad woman in the attic (Rhys' story is a spin on Jane Eyre - from the point of view of the first wife).  In Jane Eyre, the mad woman in the attic tries to burn down the house. In Alicia's story, Hester uses fire as a means of dispatch.  Of course, I'll say no more here, lest I give the whole story away!



The front of my page looks like this - I've used crackle paint (Ranger's Black Soot - thanks Alicia for sending me a bottle!) and a range of metallic paints.  Heavy duty watercolour paper was used to get a really awesome thick texture that I then took to with my red colouring pencil.  The result is pretty specky if I say so myself.  A secret hides under the door and the black void of the front cover will contain an illustration.




The book opens from right to left to reveal a hidden compartment.  The lid of my cigar box (the right flap) still needs work and I plan on putting a vignette on it. To the left is the lid of the compartment.  Let's open it up, shall we...



Crap photo this one, but it gives you an idea.  Little compartments will be carved out of the book I have placed in the compartment.  The book, as mentioned earlier, is Paradise Lost, though I'm still deciding about that.  I may yet just make a series of frames for the compartments.  Anyone got any tips on how to carve nice little boxes out of the book?




I'm really proud of this paper! I hand dyed it myself and I love the way it has come out all marbled like that.  This is the secret compartment area.  Like I said, I'm still undecided about how I'm going to frame the forgotten artifacts I have for this compartment area.  Nor have I gotten any closer to a solution as to how I'm going to allow book binding to happen, since the box opens right to left instead of left to right.  Give me time, I might do the whole book within a drawer thing within a box, yet.



Alicia's book arrives!  I open the box to find...

Now, just a quick little post about the receipt of Alicia's book in the post.  Here are the photos I took.  Hopefully I haven't conveyed some of the trembling excitement I experienced when opening the box.  If the shots are fuzzy or shaky looking, at least you know why! Lol!
 

I feel like Howard Carter as he opens Tutankhamun's Tomb!



What is this???



A book is revealed!



Is there a story contained within?



Ooooh, a couple of diary entries and an obituary. Hmmm....



More exciting reading...




The blank contents of my part of this wonderous book.  (Go to first picture of this posting to see what I've done so far...)


TO BE CONTINUED.......

26 comments:

La Dolce Vita said...

oooohhh what fun! am clapping my little hands delightedly!!

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

I'm clapping with La Doce Vita! Awesome post, I am hanging off every word and picture...I love what you've done so far, your box, the idea for it and your lovely paper...you rock Debs! This is going to be a fantastic spread!

JafaBrit's Art said...

I LOVED Jean Rhy's Wide Sargasso Sea and I LOVE what you are doing, this is so exciting. Conceptually and technically this is VERY cool stuff.

MrCachet said...

Debrina!

I forthwith give you a couple of links. If you 've never seen his art, you really should browse about on the web: BANTOCK : http://www.rambles.net/bantock_room.html

The name of his studio, which I have visited: The Forgetting Room. Delicious.

The Museum At Purgatory: http://www.rambles.net/bantock_purgatory.html

I really like what you've done with this. I wish I could put my HANDS on it!

Debrina said...

Hello, hello!!! Thank you so much dear Cat and Lisa for your encouraging comments!!! I clapped my hands when the box was opened, ha ha. Too exciting alright!!
Jafa - it is such a privelege to hear such wonderful words praise from one such as yourself! You are the diva of concepts and technicality in your own art!
Mr Cachet - I love Nick Bantock! He is too cool that guy!
The Museum of Purgatory. Oooooh weeee! I'm going there now! (Mother always said I would anyway).

MrCachet said...

Do y9ou have a Dremel tool? Tiny router...

Debrina said...

Yes I do have a dremmel - I've just borrowed one off a friend! Of course, it only does circles...but that's ok....

Poetic Artist said...

This is wonderful. Oh if only to see it and touch the pages.

Seth said...

It has been so much fun watching this collaboration unfold step by step. And what you have created so far is magical!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am totally in love with your little box and what you have done to it. I feel like I'm right there with you, opening the box, inspecting the contents, popping the bubble wrap (grin). This swap is starting out great and I'm sure it will continue to inspire many of us.

Jasmine said...

This is so amazing. I knew yo made beautiful things, I had no idea they had such magically woven stories too.

Jo Archer said...

Oooh, it all looks fabulous! Trust Alicia to have Hester murdering her husband. lol
One of my favourite themes we studied when I was doing my degree, was the the "madwoman in the attic". I love Wide Sargasso Sea and Jane Eyre is filled with so much symbolism. Can't wait to see what you do next.

Jo Archer said...

Oh yes, forgot to say, I agree with MrCachet; Nick Bantock's The Museum at Purgatory is brilliant and would make a great reference.

Samantha Marshall said...

I just love what you're creating and reading about the story. The ``Wide Sargasso Sea,'' is so intriguing, too. Love! Love! Love!

Bill Evertson said...

Watching this unfold in your post is magical. I can also feel the suspense in the package opening sequence. Nice!!

Momo Luna said...

this is awesome, i love it! :-)

Elizabeth said...

Fabulous fun and beautifully done!!! You have created such suspnse!!!!

Lisa said...

you are a creative genius and so is Alicia..what wonderful stories the two of you have conjured up..i love the follow up you are creating..Bravo talented lady!

The Gypsy said...

Fabulous! You're just wonderful.. can't wait to see more.
xxxx

ArtPropelled said...

This is all so exciting! I'm enjoying every moment of this Pulp Redux swap. Off to check out The Museum at Purgatory.

Debrina said...

Hi everybody! I went off to check out the Museum of Purgatory only to discover the book is called The Museum at Purgatory! Duh. My listening and reading skills are absolutely terrible these days. Perhaps it's always because I'm in a bit of a rush!!!
Anyway, thanks Dave for the references to Bantock's book - I'm going to HAVE to buy it now. It's way too intriguing not to!
Hey everone else - I'm slowly coming round to see each one of you. Jo, your knitted underwear posting is such a crack-up. The crochet bikini is something else! I wonder if they wear those sorts of things in the West Indies??

Poetic Artist said...

Debrina,
Thanks for stopping by on my blog.
Yes I did get your paper..It was wonderful...I do hope you enjoyed what I sent you.
Katelen

jill Zaheer said...

Debrina,
What a super project that you and Alicia are partnering on. I love integrating a story with the altered book. And your book opening right to left and your cigar box are great. Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights are some of my all time favorite books. The compartments are such a super idea for the "secrets" concept-and can't wait to see what you place inside them. The crackle paint, beautiful paper you've made, and the slow reveal of Alicia's package all have such allure! Love watching your project unfold!!

Mandy said...

Debrina, what dynamic work! Lots of inspiration here. Georgous creations with yummy colours, textures & ideas. Thanks for sharing!!!

Arty Em, Creativity Traveler said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Debrina said...

Hello Aunty Em - thanks for the new addy! I've deleted your comment just so that you get privacy with regards your address, ok?