Monday, 8 February 2010

My contribution to the 2nd Instalment of Pulp Redux: The Museum of Forgotten Things


Well, here it is - my finished contribution to Alicia's book "The Museum of Forgotten Things".  The story so far is that Hester, the main character of the book, has just recently dispatched her philandering husband Richard, by locking him in their barn and setting it alight.  My first page, above, illustrates the barn just before it is turned into a raging furnace.  The bits of cloth you see throughout the book represent the husband's lovers...proof of his infidelity.

Pages 2 & 3 (above) illustrate the birth of a daughter, Charlotte, to Hester's lover Hans, after the death of Richard.  Hans was a fossil collector, hence the calcified starfish on the left hand page.  Notice how I have given everything an exhibit label?  This is, afterall, "The Museuem of Forgotten Things..."


Pages 4 & 5 show a ghostly image of Hester in her youth and the Notes to the exhibits in the box, below...

Page 6- the exhibits box with the accompanying notes...
Can you see the little red book?  That is Hester's "Book of Secrets...".  Inside is a chronicle of her crime, her secret lovers and her obsessive need to "collect" things...

Close up of exhibits...
Detail of barn.
Hester in her youth (ghost effect intentional).

Detail of Notes page...


WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT Pulp Redux?
Here's a bit of our history...
Firstly, you can catch all the action over at our Pulp Redux blog: http://pulpredux.blogspot.com/
The originator of the collaboration is Lisa Sarsfield, who sent me an email last year asking if I'd like to do an altered book collaboration with her.  I agreed, of course (!!!) and, under Lisa's request, invited Alicia and Kim along for the ride.  We also got Lisa J on board and originally, we had Andrea from The Artful Eye interested too but because of some sad news, she had to pull out at the last minute. However, it was Andrea who came up with the fabulous collaboration name, Pulp Redux.
Alicia's book, The Museum of Forgotten Things is the first book I got to work on after my own.  Alicia is such a legend, so please go take a look at her gorgeous Pulp Redux work here and here and also be sure to check out the Lisa contributions (Lisa Sarsfield, the instigator of the collaboration, of Lucky Dip fame and Lisa Jurist of the legendary Mud Hound Studio) and finally, Kim's poignant story about a boy soldier from WWII (Kim is the author of the blog Merlin's Musings - a legacy in itself).

23 comments:

alteredbits said...

the more i look at all of your amazing and awe-inspiring work, the more i fall head over heals in love. i adore all that you have done in my book, my super sweet friend. it's gorgeous and perfect! i love how you picked up on some of the bits of my story and elaborated on them in the most perfect of ways. this is just book perfection -- the colours and textures and images and storyline -- just brilliant.

i love you, my sweet kiwi friend!!

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Nothing wrong with your version of the story Debs! Thanks for linking the other posts, good to show everyone that might have missed it what's been going on.
Good to read more of the story too...such suspense!

kiwicarole said...

You have done a fantastic job on this Debs! WOW!

Celeste Bergin said...

totally enchanting! This had to be a lot of work--but a labor of love. Lovely!

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Debrina this book is a journey and map of a woman's pain of betrayal. Our American politics have been drizzled with one betrayal after another. I find it interesting that Hester collects things and hides her secrets in a small book. The metaphors and intriguing details pull me into the web of where she will journey next. Thank you for sharing this intimate process. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Kim said...

I just love this storyline and how you have illustrated it all Debs. Great work with the exhibits, layering and textures. This is going to be some story by the time it gets to me, I can't wait to see how it develops as it travels through everyones hands. Oh and don't worry about the paper in the post I'm sure it will be fine when it gets here!

Flower's Page said...

you're a bit bloody cleaver arn't you mate! Hey I have some books I need to return to you!!! are you home Thurs night?

JafaBrit's Art said...

oh my gosh, DROOOOOOOOOOOOL! this is just fantastically interesting and gorgeous. I want to explore it, touch it.

ArtPropelled said...

How wonderful!!! I love how you've aged the box/book and everything forgotten. Perfect!

Seth said...

This is beyond description. A brilliant piece of work. Enlarging the photos brings out so much amazing detail. Hope to see this Museum in a museum one day!

Samantha Marshall said...

HI Debrina- WOW!!! I love the story and your fantastic art tells it so beautifully.

Deborah said...

Amazing!

Mar said...

i especially like the hidden box
wonderful contribution!!!!

layers said...

what a fabulous book! so much attention to detail and so thoughtful-- and what a wonderful story to go along with it.
well done..

Four Seasons in a Life said...

Dear Debrina,

I am totally speechless and enchanted.
This is my first time visit and I will be back to dig into your blogs past and enrich myself mentally and visually with your art.

Thank you for sharing,
Egmont

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

My mouth DROPPED when I saw this book. I was so impressed with both the art and the storyline you have created. So many textures, so little time.

Four Seasons in a Life said...

Hi Debrina,

I wish to write you back but your comment is a 'non-reply' with no email address.

Egmont

Clytie said...

Wow. This is wonderful.

the GyPsY said...

You truly are a wonderful inspiring and inspired artist, not to mention a wonderful woman. I love what you've done here, the details, the imagination. Absolutely wonderful.
Hugs to you Debs

Nicks said...

its disgusting that you can produce such awesome work and live so far away so I cant come and see it in its gorgeous flesh!

Loving it!

AscenderRisesAbove said...

very nice; i like this hidden compartment; thinking about how I can incorporate something like this.

druga szesnascie said...

your Art takes my breath away...

Jasmine said...

This collaboration is producing amazing work. i love the book x