Friday, 19 February 2010

Snow White...as you've never seen her before!

ACEO
aLTERED GoTH sNOW wHitE

nOW for sale in My Ebay Store for a starting bid of $5!

Every week, I try and complete 5 new ACEOS for listing in my Ebay store (see my other 4 in my last posting).  This is the fifth and last one of my listings this week.   I had to wait a while to do her because, although I had her clearly finished in my mind's eye, I couldn't do her until I got all the right bits and pieces together.  In the end, I couldn't wait for the right head, so I just painted it instead.  Here I've used acrylic paint and then shaded her in with coloured pencil.  Her hair, eyes, nose and mouth are all inked in using Indian ink.  I am particularly proud of her bodice and headpiece as they are antiqued lace that is then shellacked (oh how I love thee, shellac!) and dyed over again.  The background is courtesy of my official sponsor - Alicia's collage sheets over at Altered Bits (see my side panel).  I am trialling this ATC back-ground for her - which is basically the red stripes that you see and the hummingbird...which I have embellished slightly with a googley eye! Lol.

Now I should explain here that I am not a big one for advertising on my blog - I have, up until now, kept to my own strict policy of keeping advertising out of my blog, but I have decided to promote Alicia's collage sheets for the simple reason that I know something about her that you probably don't!  And that is, she wants to do what she's doing over at the Altered Bit's Shop, for a living.  Add to that my own dream of making a thousand and one mini masterpieces of art (my ATCs and ACEOS), and you have what you see before you here - two arty chicks helping each other out! 

Our ultimate, ultimate dream is to eventually buy a studio space together and work in it, inviting all our blogger and non-blogger friends to come join us on retreat.  We have to dream real hard, though, because I'm here in New Zealand and she's in Oregon!!! Ha ha. So if a really rich potential patron/ess of the arts is reading this right now, we'd like to work from Paris if that's alright and we'd like you to buy all the art we make! 

In the meantime, we will plug away at plugging away, he he.

Till next time folks!

Debs
PS. apologies to all my friends in blogland.  I have been real slack again at trying to get around to you all to say hi!  Bear with me, it will happen!

24 comments:

Stephanie Mealor Corder said...

Wow, this is amazing- the entire comp on this one speaks to me- when I try to figure out which element I like best, I find I can't separate any one bit from the rest because it's so cohesive. Beautiful!

Debrina said...

Hi Stephanie - I just caught you leaving a comment right now (would you believe it's 12.18am here - I'm so naughty!). Well, that's a huge compliment about the cohesiveness of the piece! I'm glad you like it. Compostition can be a bit hit and miss at times but the beauty of collage and mixed media is that you can fiddle around with it first b4 deciding.

Debby said...

Great card!

La Dolce Vita said...

i am all for making a living at art, and I say if advertising helps out then do that! plus who better to assist than that sweet pixie, Alicia???!!! awesome card!

MrCachet said...

It's hard to keep up in the blogosphere when you're trying to do art full time. I say, go for it!

alteredbits said...

your new ATC is fantastic!! i couldn't figure out which background it was for a moment as it all flows together so well -- i thought, initially, that you'd just used the bird. (i need to post that collage sheet now!!) :)

thank you so very much, sweet friend! sending another set of goodies your way today. loves ya! (although i would, i don't think paul would be for france, hah -- maybe we can just buy an island)

loves to you, sweet cat! you're a sweet pixie yourself!

(my verification word is rerocks. i think your card rocks, and when i look at it again it "rerocks")

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You are not only a collage artist, you are a terrific painter as well. I would never be able to pull that off.

Thanks for taking time to stop by. I am sorry to hear about your son. I hope things slack up a bit for you soon.

Debrina said...

Hi everyone! Oh Elizabeth, don't be sorry, ha ha! Nothing wrong with Jason being crazy -he's a typical two year old boy. I don't resent him taking up all my time, I'm just gald he sleeps so well at night so I can stay up until 1 in the morning catching up on art and blogs, lol!

Jo Archer said...

I love that ACEO Debs. She has a great expression!
Good news about Alicia. I'll do a shout out on mine too.

ArtPropelled said...

Hi Debbie! Snow White's looking good!

Julie H said...

What a beautiful ACEO, almost oriental, but not. Lovely, and now I am off to visit your firends store. Thanks for sharing.

jill Zaheer said...

Great card! And toot your horn and that of Alcia's as much as you like!!
Love your plan- and I believe if you think it- and envision it and work toward it, it will be both of yours one day!!

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

A friends gotta do what a friends gotta do! Good on you for striking a deal with Alicia. Ties in nicely with the spirit of the barter circle too.
I like your snow-white, her face is just amazing! Clever you! I struggle with faces, hands, feet...ok, anatomy. lol.

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Wow - this is really beautiful. Your work is wonderful. I love the colors and the dramatic feel to the piece. Lovely!!!
Theresa

Deborah said...

A great piece! I love your plan.

layers said...

very colorful and brings back childhood memories

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

What does steampunk mean? I love a rowdy girl! Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Nicks said...

I dont normally do 'blog awards' but I have today and I have awarded you one.... you dont have to respond if you think they are tacky (and I wont blame you) but you may want to maybe hop over and read mine xx

Kelly Jeanette said...

I like her. A really great card.

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

Love your Snow White, she is a fav fairytale!
Oh and a studio in Paris sounds fab!!! Dreams are good :)
oxo

Jasmine said...

I love your snow white . Hope you are all good? xxJ

Patti said...

I put a link to your ATC post (and Alicia's) in my ATC post:)
Include me in the group headed for Paree!

I'd like to hear more about your love for shellac as it is something I haven't tried!

Debrina said...

Ha ha, thanks Patti! Yes, wouldn't Paris be a blast!!

bubblemunch said...

She's absolutely beautiful!