Thursday, 15 April 2010

Book Closure, Book Corporations and Books that INSPIRE!

Close up of illustration (this is from one of my own paintings) for the Pulp Redux project

Well, I'm a bit overdue on my weekly posting (by four days in fact...tut tut) but I've been on holiday!!!  Well, a holiday of sorts.  It has been punctuated, unfortunately, by the flu and an overwhelming tiredness that has been demanding sleep (a lot of it) - hard to do when you have a two year old running circles around you every 5 mins...but yesterday, I checked him into day care and got 12 hours worth of sleep.  Three hours in the morning and nine more last night - ahhh, bliss!  Admittedly, dreaming about coughing up flies and finding spotted slugs in the creases of my my palm was a little disconcerting:

What are you two doing in my dream?

So when I woke up from my morning slug dream, I knew it was time to hit the studio - which, btw, is all nicely organised - I even have somewhere to sit!! Look:

OMG! Whose studio is that??  That's not mine!

Well, actually, my proper tidy studio shots are on my other computer, which I'll get to later on tonight, so this will have to do for now. Ok, I'm home now...so here's the tidy studio...ta dah!

 



So anyway, it was to the task at hand - my Pulp Redux pages for Lisa J's book; namely...

...finishing off a bit of drawing (above) - hey, those slugs are everywhere!  This is the start of the explanatory illustrations and notes for my Anglo Saxon pages (below):

  
...which are hidden behind a shroud that folds back to reveal the notes pages...

Which in turn folds back, page by page, to reveal the Christian side of my pages...

Note the lovely, rusty old door hinge I found.  A perfect fit, believe it or not, for Lisa's book.

Then it was finishing off the pages to the right of the layout...here I am, "inventing" something I call the reverse seam:



I call it the reverse seam because I wanted the seam edge to be rough and for the fabric edge to run a little without getting away on me and unthreading itself completely.

If you click on the picture, above, you'll see the finished reverse seams framing the heaven, bible and hell pieces on  the right.  The "3 times" quote reflects the three aspects to the Christian god: the father, the son and the holy ghost.
Then the whole piece neatly folds up into one layered page:

Phew!  Well, it is VERY NEARLY done - but not quite, I still have a wee bit more to do on the Anglo Saxon pages, but think I will have book closure by the end of the weekend anyway.

NOW for a wee discussion about this:


Ok, someone tell me (no, don't) what on earth this is doing on my dashboard (see the Amazon reference).  Now, I've just recently made a pledge (see below) to keep all corporate advertising off my blog...
...but here's Blogger and Amazon, teaming up to try and entice me and you ("we could earn some money" don't you know...) to do an Amway style bit of advertising for them.  Blimey!  It's not a lot of money either, folks, and if you ask me, it devalues the integrity of the blog medium.  I feel pretty staunch about this issue,   and here's why (I have paraphrased the words of the author of this movement):

"I am opposed to widespread advertising impacting every aspect of our existence. And I am drawing a line around the space that I deem inappropriate for advertising to inhabit. In this case it is my blog.

As an avid blogger I [have been] receiving numerous offers of money from companies to both advertise on my site and also to "mention" products as a form of endorsement in the content of my blog. Knowing this, it has become necessary to differentiate myself from blogs that contain ads and inform my readers that they can know for sure that my endorsement of anything (whether it's a product, a book, a piece of art, an idea) comes directly from me and not influenced by any outside source/company/or corporation.

Many bloggers say they will not let the ads affect the editorial content. I question this statement. Can you guarantee that? And knowing that other people are offered money to "mention" a product on their site don't you start to wonder whether someone is recommending something in an unbiased way? We live in a culture where advertisers directly influence and in some cases control and create the culture at large. Honesty of the writing is affected when corporate interests are paying the bills. This has been proven time and time again in the case of periodicals, films, and television. The more ads that appear on blogs the less we will all trust in the honesty of the medium as a whole.

The by-product of this is that blogging medium (as with many/most others forms of media in our culture, magazines, news, film, etc.) is now *influenced/controlled* by large corporations."
------------------------------------
If we, as a society, lose our voice completely, and corporations start doing all the talking, then we'll be utterly lost. To some degree, this has already happened. Our ability to envision a future collectively has already been severely compromised.". ~ Kalle Lasn

Like I said, I feel strongly about this, and I can hear some of you saying "But surely we wouldn't have blogger if it wasn't for advertising?".  Actually, that's not true...it has only ever been an option and, although it still is...that freedom of choice is slowly being eroded by the likes of what I found on my dashboard this morning.  Indeed,  the more bloggers that are enticed away from blogging as an ad free medium by participating in this type of surreptitious advertising, the more we as artists and creative indviduals are in danger of losing our integrity as free-thinkers.  I'm not asking or bullying you to join with me on this pledge but to at least think about what I've written here.

Anway, out with the motley and in with an example of the amazing powers of blogger as an agent of free thinking, exploration, networking and amazing finds: namely, this lovely lady and her fantastic, incredible fabric paper making:





These pictures belong to Sue and she's from the Waikato, New Zealand, and that's all I know about her...and maybe that's all she wants me to know about her, but after last week's blog posting - the one I did on fabric paper.  This post was inspired by the book (and this is an endorsement from me), Mixed Media Explorations by Beryl Taylor.  I gave the fabric paper a go and posted photos up last week and as a result, I got this amazing collection of pictures from Sue via my blog email, with the note:

"I've used some of it for ATC's, must make some more , I also use it for preserving old newspaper but I don't like the shiny effect. Enjoying your blog..."


Sue in the Waikato
 
Well Sue - these are just bloody amazing!!!!!!!  I am feeling totally inspired to make more and more fabric paper so that I've got a good stash of it just like you!  And if you're reading this then get a hold of me and give me real permission to keep these pictures up on my blog.
 
Till next week, folks!
Debs
XOXOXOX

27 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

First, I don't think I understand the Pulp Redux swap. Are all those pages made by you and do they make a complete book? Didn't each person start with a book? So, why am I confused? The photos look like these are all your pages and that book is so bit nothing else could possibly go in it. Help me out, here.

Also, several days ago, I put the same banner on my blog after visiting yours. I feel the same way about ads. They make money off me, not the other way around. Good to see your take of this situation in a post.

Debrina said...

Hi Elizabeth! Yes, my pages are very fat...but they are only a segment that fits into Lisa's book. If you hop on over to the Pulp Redux site,you'll see what I mean. Lisa's book is an old blank photo album with pages that come out. A portion of those pages are mine to work on and then, in turn, there are blank pages for the rest of the group to use. The two Lisa's have already done their contributions and mine will be the third contribution to Lisa J's book. Gosh, it does sound complicated doesn't it...but that's the best I can do to explain it. Lol.
Oh and thanks for your support on the ad front...it's true, they ultimately make money off you in the end, no matter the trifle amount they pay you to do their advertising for them. Shame on Amazon and shame on Google blogger too.

Samantha Marshall said...

The book is looking fantastic- just loving watching it come together.
So glad you're feeling better, too.
I agree with you about the ads.

Clytie said...

I absolutely agree about the ads as well. This is not the place for them.

You are an amazingly talented artist, and I enjoy your AD-FREE :=} blog very much.

Poetic Artist said...

The pages are looking wonderful.
So much beauty. I do agree about the ads..You know they will take over and they makes the money in the end. This is our voice on our blogs.

Flower said...

You never fail to amaze me mate. Hope to see you soon! xoxox

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Crikey you sure made up on the delay in posting! and sleep too! that's a good thing in both cases of course! I loooove what youve done with Lisa's book. Especially the old lace/yummy fabrics pages with the christianity focus. The colours and everything are just perfect for Lisa's book! It's hard to believe that you're works going to fit in between the covers! Your first photo is delish!

I saw the amazon thing but ignored it, guess i don't feel as strongly as you do about the ads, I just don't advertise...but good on you for taking a stance instead of putting up with it!

Marie-Aimée said...

the book is simply gorgeous...

Zoe Sotet Art Studio said...

The book is gorgeous.
It would be really cool to have a video that shows how all the pages unfold.

lyle said...

your new pages are grand ! dont know how you find time to do it all! as to the advertising I'm with you. I hate all that clutter. lyle

Healing Woman said...

This was a very inspiring and informative post. I love your new pages and back seams, I also love the colors in the paper cloth you showed. Your ideas about allowing companies to use bloggers as tools to get practically free advertising is right on target. I have had an experience with this recently. It is a "selling out" of integrity to the blog and art.

ArtPropelled said...

Well said Debrina, I feel the same way about adds on a blog. Enjoying your Pulp Redux pages and love the slugs slithering through this post. Sue's paper fabric is divine!

Deborah said...

Your pages are gorgeous! Thanks for the explanation. I was getting a little confused also.

MrCachet said...

The Amazon thingy showed up about three weeks ago - on mine as well, and I suspect every blogger dashboard.

Nice work, by the way!

alteredbits said...

just phenominal, lady! i didn't think it could get better and that's what i get for thinking -- this is just amazing! all of the tiny details, the story, the texture and meanings -- i love it all!! you have really outdone yourself! and i am so glad that this book hasn't reached me yet as i'll get to see it in person! i'm so very excited about this!

i've jumped back into your book but it will be a wee bit before i can post as finn is quite sick. he came home crying yesterday with a sore throat and had over a 102 temperature (not sure of the conversion right now but normal is 98.6). poor little man! kisses to you and yours -- hope you're all feeling better now!

let's chat this weekend -- or later today if you have time. miss you!

p.s. where ever did you find that hinge? hehe. love it so much in there, sweets!! :)

La Dolce Vita said...

absolutely amazing work Deb! love it and you sure made up for the lack of posting!!! wow! awesome chewy post!

Lisa said...

deb, you've truly put your heart and soul into the pulp piece in my book.. I'm so star struck...I can't wait to actually enjoy your creative genius in person! Your work is so amazing and detailed that it's hard to grasp the entire concept through the photos. Love the illustration of the tree at the top of your post and all the yummy creamy textures!!

I've never clicked on an ad in a blog so I rather ignore them though if you are an visual person they can be quite unattractive to the look of your blog. As much as I often despise advertising I used to make my living from it so...

kiwicarole said...

I'm with you on the add thing. I find a blog full of adds a bit of a turn off, must admit.

Your work is super fantastic as per usual!!
C x

Faerie Moon Creations said...

So sorry to hear you've been ill but glad to know you've been on the mend - and very creative! What lovely book pages you've made. The amount of work you've put into them are amazing. :) Theresa

Debrina said...

Hello lovely people! I've just about finished coming round to you all to say hi! I'm happy to find there are many of you who feel the same way I do about these sneaky little corporates. Thank you also, for your wonderful words of support and enthusiasm when you come and visit my blog. You're all a lovely bunch, you are!!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've been meaning to get back here for two days and I'm finally here. I've been to Pulp Redux, but simply didn't understand what I was looking at. Thanks for explaining it all. I really KNEW what I thought it was supposed to be, but it just doesn't look like what I thought it should. SO, even though I'm still confused about these pages, I am no longer confused about the book.

alteredbits said...

i had to pop back to see the photos of your studio. looks fantastic! i love your new shelf and all your gorgeous goodies on there, particularly those frames -- yummy!

and i lovelovelove that fabric paper too. i think i forgot to say that last time.

Debrina said...

Hey Elizabeth - I've made a new posting just for you and Zoe and anyone else who is interested to see how these pages work.

Cathy said...

Hi Debrina, thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog. What an amazing display of gorgeous stuff on your blog and that book is totally wonderful.

I agree with you about ads. I am definitely an ad free space too.

layers said...

what a sense of accomplishment to finish this wonderful book-- so full of textures and layers.

Ka said...

Hi Debrina!
Found your site the other day. Love your artwork!
... and suffering from serius studio-envy of your very neat studio!!!
Mine is a MESS and has been taken over as a ...er... stuff room!
*si-i-igh*
I posted about your site, and your neat studio with 2 photos... is that ok?
Big hug...

Four Seasons in a Life said...

Dear Debrina,

I am going to comment on ads, as I have considered both sides of this situation.

Both my blogs are ad free because I feel that art and ads do not mix. However, as I have a book and very rarely comment on a book, I feel nothing wrong about a 'kick-back' as I provide a link within the post to the book being discussed.

Yet having adds on ones sidebar for the sake of revenue is something I am not in favor of. Common sense must prevail.

Wishing you all the very best,
Egmont