Friday, 30 April 2010

Textile Translations...

I've been having fun working on my next lot of book pages for Pulp Redux - this is Lisa S's book I'm working on.  If this seems like all I do these days, then you'd be right, lol.  I'm really enjoying the fabric/fibre/paper interactions that I've been experimenting with, and as you can see from the images above, I've been having a lot of fun with the colour blue!  My main source of inspiration at the moment has been Maggie Grey's book, Textile Translations: mixed media.   Maggie actually has a blog site (I've just discovered it) and if you want to find out more about some of her gorgeous textile art, take a look here.

For my pages, I've been using lots of gesso, water-based dye, wonder-under, soluble fibres and stitiching.  All of this is an extension of my fabric paper experiments, except the paper I've used here has come straight out of Lisa S' altered book:
Anyway, my next move is to rust up the soluble fibre left overs - I'm off to seek out some walnut ink today, for the first time breaking my buy only second hand pledge for the year.  Naughty I know, but I just haven't found anyone who has any to barter.  Unless, of course, you have some!

17 comments:

La Dolce Vita said...

oh I know I am hoarding my stash!! this looks just great Deb, love your color blue and this book is awesome too!

NuminosityBeads said...

Rust, Indigo, Walnut, - textiles and papers. All these words and images inspire me today. I can't wait to get back to my studio. I'm currently in transit. I don't even know where to start with my raving about the book.
Kim

layers said...

I must be crazy for textiles because of the wonderful textures- with the color blue these remind me of the indigo blue Japanese kimonos.

Pheasant Run Studio said...

Yes, I have some "homemade" walnut ink that I would be willing to barter; I'll run right over with it. Alex in USA.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

First, I love the fabric you have dyed. I am really anxious to get back to dyeing now that spring has hit the US.

Do you know anyone who has a black walnut tree? If so, pick a few walnuts, crack them open, crush them, and make your own ink. If not, looks like you will have to buy it (grin).

Samantha Marshall said...

The fabric is looking fantastic!!!!

alteredbits said...

as you know, i LOVE these pages you've started. sometimes i feel we're cheating when we send each other photos while chatting on skype. ;) i am loving this though! i tried to find that book on amazon and the only copy i found was $95 and it's a used book. is it easy to find there? we can do a swap for the book and another book or some walnut ink. i'll be naughty with you and buy something i shouldn't. ;)

i'll be back to work on your book late this week, after the create art show/fair thing. woooots!

Debrina said...

Well, thanks everyone for your kind words and two of you have even made a barter offer. Well, that's just excellent. I'll put forward a barter propsal for each of you.

Faerie Moon Creations said...

I love that shade of blue...it's quite stunning. You're doing a fabulous job, as always! Theresa :)

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

You have created a deeply moving composition with the textures and I love the flow of blues. You have given me so much to contemplate and experiment with ...Have a wonderful weekend! Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Seth said...

The fabric -- and the book -- are looking amazing!

Lisa said...

looks amazing Deb..love what's happening here! I am a big fan of Maggies book..I think it can be found on her website for sale too.

ArtPropelled said...

Great textile translations, Debbie.
I have just purchased a bottle of walnut ink after searching for it for years. Nobody had heard of it here but a shop assistant seemed to remember a walnut something in a dusty bottle in the storeroom. Viola! Sorry I won't be bartering it just yet.

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Oh...this is a fascinating glimpse of what's to come! Can't wait to see what you will do:)

Wouldn't it be great if you could find a big ol' walnut tree...

Patti said...

I might have some... I'll look. I can't believe how fabulous your work is, and this project! I wish we could all get together and do a workshop, where you guys could share your secrets:)

Debrina said...

Thanks Patti - I'll consider that too. And thanks everyone else for your lovely comments!

Elizabeth said...

Fabric paper is simply the best and so versatile and endless wasy to put it together!!! Thanks for the wonderful comments you left on my blog!! I am glad that you like my birdies!! Shall we do a trade?????