Wednesday, 5 May 2010

The House of Indigo

The House of Indigo was all that she knew...

Her childhood began and ended here...but one knock on the door...

or a peek through one of its numerous windows....

...would reveal a labyrinth of rooms and hallways, antechambers and vestibules...


This the fouth instalment of pages for Pulp Redux - a series of altered book masterpieces!

Well, I'm really surprised just how fast these pages are commencing.  And if I'm surprising myself then I must be moving fast! Lol.

Anyway, as you can see, my pages for Lisa S' book, Labyrinth, explore the House of Indigo - my name for this particular house, which is an invention of course, but with some mixed media magic, is turning very quickly into reality.

The front cover is the one with the door.  The door is attached to a leather cord which pulls back to reveal the outside of the House of Indigo.  The house itself is a free image from the GraphicsFairy and is entitled Pituresque Gothic Cottage (Design V).  I used gel medium to transfer this image from a photocopy onto the tag that frames it, then covered the house with a resin-like substance. The effect is rather ghostly - just how I wanted it to look (I like it when that happens!!)

The window is a colour print onto acetate - I wanted the shine of a window, and that too, is exactly what I got.  Hooray!

The other techniques I'm keeping under wraps, as with these pages, I have big plans, and I may be using it as an example for a future online workshop - with Lisa's permission, of course, as my pages will eventually go to her.

22 comments:

NuminosityBeads said...

Wonderful, just wonderful!
Kim

Debrina said...

Hi Kim! Thanks so much, I'm really getting a feel for this altered artbook lark now!!

Ophelia said...

This is amazing!!!

Four Seasons in a Life said...

Dear Dabrina,

This is beautiful! The elements all work in harmony. The textures are sumptuous and the blue tones a delight.

Congratulations!

Thank you for sharing,
Egmont

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I am blown away with the fantastic blue galaxy of images and techniques. I so love visiting you across the biggest pond...New Zealand is really not that far when I can check in with your beautiful works through the blog world. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Susan Williamson said...

The House of Indigo is like a modern Gothic novel...lush and magical. (There's also something about seeing floor plans that always captivates me.) Love it!!!

Jo Archer said...

You are outdoing yourself at the moment lady! Love these colours. Another fabulous creation. x

kiwicarole said...

lookin good!!

we must arrange to do that get together sometime, the 3 of us!
carole :)

Cathy said...

Fascinating work Debrina. I love the central panel with the house - very ghostly and spooky.

I enjoyed your YouTube video of the altered book. Lovely tree.

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

I'm doing my happy dance Debrina!This is all kinds of absolutely wonderful! Lovin the house and the colours you used around it! Love the idea your going with and ofcourse a storyline! It all looks so fantastic!

Ofcourse you can use anything you want for your art course, the pages are mine but the art is yours:)

Loving this so much and can't wait to see where you will go with it!
L x

Heavens2Betsy said...

Utterly breathtaking - really, it made me gasp x

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Oh, how I LOVE It...Appropriately gothic and a bit spooky. All the blue elements really helps capture the mysterious atmosphere. Well done! Theresa :)

Clytie said...

I think others have said this so well - wonderful, gothic, a little spooky. Perfect!

Seth said...

These books just get better and better. Really amazing pages here!

layers said...

what a wonderful book-- when one has a good idea and wonderful materials and imagination- it does seem as if the work just flows

Debrina said...

Wow - what an amazing and wonderful array of comments thank you! I will be coming round to say hi to each one of you to convey my heartfelt thanks. Love you guys!!

Kelly Jeanette said...

Short and sweet-That is so cool! I love it.

Deborah said...

This is wonderful!

debrinasdiary said...

Hello all my lovely, lovely friends! Thank you again for being so supportive and generous with your comments. I've got a wee way to go yet on this book, but it seems I'm on the right track going by what ya'll have to say, lol!!

Kim Palmer said...

I love the idea of wandering around some house that just winds away and looses you. What fun! Great pages shaping up here Debs. I have been pouring over your piece in Lisa J's book, fabulous and soooo much better in person than the pics could reveal. Its wonderful Hugs to you my friend!

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

I adore your book. That blue is WONDERFUL!

Healing Woman said...

Lucky Lisa! Your pages are magnificent.