Tuesday, 8 June 2010

I'm back! Inspired, Involved and Invigorated!

 "Home is where the art is..."
My Pulp Redux contribution (the fourth) to Lisa Sarsfield's "Labyrinth"

Well, it's been a marvellous break.  I've been away from the studio and the computer for nigh on a month.  More than anything, time spent off the Internet has been great for my brain.  When you're always online, a sort of mental malnourishment sets in and one's ability to focus on things that need lengthy amounts of concentration - like listening to the radio or reading a book or drawing - becomes more difficult.  Now that I've got that part of my brain in order (ha! Wait a minute, did someone mention I had a two year old?) I feel replenished, inspired and not so blinkered to the world of creative possibilities.
So, what did I do on my break?

Well...first and foremost, I READ!  Oh for the love of books!  Most inspiring read?  Kaari Meng's "French General: Treasured Notions".  This amazing craft book is also a history book of notions, as it takes you through the incredibly vast collection contained in this most glorious New York based store.  Furthermore, what utter delight to discover tonight that Chronicle books have made an accompanying video!  Yes...I have to admit it, the Internet is still a pretty darn useful thing!


Another book I thoroughly enjoyed was Susan Hill's "Howards End is on the Landing"

I had this book on order for an age and last week it finally arrived at my favouritist bookstore in the whole wide world, Poppies!  Hi Margaret from Feilding Poppies - I love you and sorry about the Jason/very expensive book incident. (Oh the joys of a two year old in a posh bookstore).  Anyway, Susan spends a year reading from her vast collection of books at home...a self-confessed bibliofile, Hill buys books like we buy bread and before she knows it she has rows and rows of unread books.  So without anymore procrastinating, she sets aside a year to read and write about her experience.

Of course, I didn't just read..I also drew...and realised, to my horror, that I was a little out of practise in this department.  Still, I kept drawing and then drawing some more until finally I was producing some semi-decent sketches.  Here's one I drew after reading about Lewis Carole:

"We are but older children dear, who fret to find our bedtime near"...
Lewis Carole on Death

Then of course, there was the pulpy work (read PLAY!) to be done on my contribution to Lisa Sarsfield's Labyrinth.  As "Home" and "Houses" were my theme, I invented the House of Indigo at No. 6 Cottager Lane.  Can you see Indigo in the image below (click on her to see a larger image)...

I really wanted to play on "doors and windows and rooms"...a labyrinth of rooms in fact!  So that's what I did..I layered on the acetate or transparency film to create my "windows"...and incorporated house plans from an original Picturesque Gothic Cottage.  I've used latches, created a door knocker, incorporated a letter box number, made windows and included quotes.  This is a house of memories for the little girl Indigo, so I also tried to represent her memories of "home".
That last photo shows the book pages all laid out.  The window to the left actually folds out to reveal more pages and secrets, but to get the whole story and enjoy all of our creations, you really do need to pop along to  PULP REDUX

Lastly, I've been trying to help out my sister and my brother-in-law.  Kerry is a lovely guy but a wee while ago, he was made redundant from his job in a bike shop.  Now, just today in fact, my sister Keryn was laid off her job (although she did get warned last week to expect the worst).

It seems the recession is still hitting us hard in New Zealand.  So this weekend gone I went up the country to see them and help Kerry establish his blog about his new venture: Omafiet Bicycles - the first of their kind to arrive in New Zealand! 


He's made a wonderful first posting about the history of these bikes...would you believe, in fact, that these "grandma bikes" were even used in the army by the Dutch! It's true - they mounted machine guns onto the handle bars...but wait, you really need to go and read about this for yourself...so do pop on by and say hi.  These guys have fallen on hard times and I want to try and help them out as much as I can...even to the point where I have broken my own rule about my blog being an ad-free zone.  As Kerry and Keryn aren't corporates and just need to make a living...I thought it worth the compromise!

 Kerry's Omafiet (Image copyright, Ironwill 2010)

So here's Kerry's business link: if you're a kiwi looking for a classy, gorgeous vintage bike for a reasonable price check them out.

Well folks, that's me for the night.  I'll continue to blog of course, but I've decided to spend way less time on the computer these days. As you know, I will always try and get around to see you all, especially those of you who leave comments.


See you again soon!

Love Debrina

24 comments:

Healing Woman said...

I have missed your posting but understand the need for a rest from blogland. I will be getting mine soon when I travel to Ireland, Wales,Scotland and England. I can't wait.

The book you have created is marvelous. The books you have reviewed for us looking interesting and reading used to be my favorite thing in the world til I started blogging! You have made a very good point. It is hard to concentrate on anything but the internet when you are at it every day. Glad you got the rest..with a 2 year old, you did not get the rest though..LOL

Samantha Marshall said...

Hi Debrina!!
Wow- just LOVING this gorgeous book. The details are just amazing. Glad you're back!!!!

Lisa said...

Well you may have beenaway but we are on the same wavelength...
The past week I've been into the French General too..her book and her website..I have to watch the video but the book is on my must have...It's so refreshing to extract oneself from the computer to focus on a good book!

I agree that our brains need a break from the computer et al.. my ten year old hates this rule but he gets that mental malnourishment if I don't limit time as do I!

You're really outdone yourself on Lisa's book...What a treat that I will be able to see it in actuality..so many layers and details..it's just luscious!!! I went to the pulp blog first but should have come here first for the story. Love your work..especially the blended colors and textures..spectacular indeed! You've reingnited the pulp fire!!!
Now I'm going to check out the video...

In the Light of the Moon said...

Wonderful to see you sweet Debrina,and I think your right..sometimes you just need to step away..Your book is amazing!!Big Hugs-Cat

La Dolce Vita said...

you really did a smashing job on the book, just yummy work and I loved the video, the book must have been great too! adore Tinsel!! and welcome back!

alteredbits said...

what a fantastic video -- thank you! i actually ordered up that book last week along with master's collage (donna is in it, woots!) which is FINALLY out. i'm hoping to get both today.

i'm so glad you've had such a wonderful break! you've certainly done a magnificent job on lisa's book! i am loving all of the color and texture and tiny little details! i'll be breaking next as next tuesday is the last day of school.

i don't think that sharing a really cool bike shop is advertising. not only does his shop look cool, it's family. and you're not being paid to say it, either. ;)

Deborah said...

Welcome back! The book you made is gorgeous. I also enjoy French General and can just imagine how wonderful it would be to participate in one of the workshops . . . or accompany her to France.

Debrina said...

Thank you everyone for your sweet welcome backs! I'm glad and happy to be back and it's refreshing to hear that you share my sentiments on the mental malnourishment front! Lol.

I look forward to popping on by to see you all again!

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Welcome back! You have certainly been productive while you've been away! I can completely understand the need for a break, however. Gorgeous work on the book. Theresa :)

Kim Palmer said...

Lovely Deb, but haven;t you been busy! What a fab book I will have to get a copy, loved the video! I know what you mean about being away from the puter for a while. It will take over if you let it and your creativity will run out the window! Glad you are feeling refreshed. I love our pulpy fun too!

Clytie said...

Welcome back - though I understand the need for a bloggy break - especially with a young child in the household!

Shelly said...

Welcome back! Love seeing your fabulous book creation. Sounds (and looks) like the time off was wonderful...and books! I remember books (vaguely). I can't be away from the computer for a whole month, but I could definitely do a technology free weekend. Who knows what could happen?!?! :) -Shelly

Gaby Bee said...

Welcome back! I completely understand the time that it takes to Blog and all that goes with it. We all need a break occasionally. Glad that you are feeling refreshed.
Your work in Lisa's book is simply stunning. I just love all the textures and details. Brilliant, Deb! You rock!

Loved the video!

Have a wonderful upcoming weekend!

Gaby xo

the GyPsY said...

Hey Debs!! Glad you're back. Good idea to take a break from everything .. (and everyone?:-))) once in a while. I've actually been waking up early, taking off to the beach for a couple of hours to read and swim... before going to the office (I've managed to read 12 books in as many weeks) .. why didn't I think of that before.
Love your book, and all the layers, textures and secrets.
Hugs

ArtPropelled said...

Glad you're back Debbie. Great post full of interesting snippets. I've also found that being on the computer too much leads to a sludgy brain and the other shocking thing is I can barely write a sentence. My writing has deteriorated no end!
Love your Lewis Carol inspired sketch and of course the Pulp Redux pieces.

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Welcome back little Moma! Remember standing still is essential to the journey. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm so glad you're back. Yes, I realize I'm a bit late in coming to your blog, but things have gotten hectic here, what with our summer in full swing, gardening, yard work, and swaps. It never stops, but at least it slows in the cold.

You have an impressive reading list, and it sounds like you put your time to very good use. I really love the piece you made for the Pulp Redux round robin. I've found this to be a very exciting collaboration.

Glad you are back and are popping you head into blogland every so often. Sorry I'm so very late getting here to see you, too.

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

An amazing post ... not only are you inspired but also inspiring. Thank you sweetie :o)

Miriam said...

Hi Debbie! And WOW I am blown away by how beautiful your creations are. Just amazing. Was great to chat today! Am feeling very enthused now, so thank you :-)

Susan Williamson said...

What a wonderful and inspiring post! I agree that time spent away from the Internet is a necessity. Sometimes I think we try too anxiously to keep up with everything that's going on and you kind of burn out. So you need to rest and rejuvenate in your own place and radiate instead of keeping up.

Carole said...

beaautiful work :)

Debrina said...

Just awaiting the last book in the Pulp redux collaboration now....in the meantime, I've begun work on a book for me...just to tie me over. See how addicted I am! Lol. Thank you all of you for your sweet comments...once again, I shall come on by and say hi just as soon as I can!

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Ok, this is weird! I KNOW I commented here!! but alas I do not see it being one of the 22 fabulous comments you got! Dang blooger gremlins! No wonder you were asking me if I saw this!

I know the comment went something like this...Debs! you are so flippin clever! I love the story and the colours, the windows, numbers and images! All of them! This is just perfect and such a clever way to interpret my theme. Thankyou so much for your wonderful work. I will treasure it for ever and ever:)

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

PS: glad your back and ready to roll!