Saturday, 19 June 2010

Magic in the Mundane

I've linked this post to Jasmine's Sharing Treasure -  "a place where we can share the magic and wonders of our local history, folklore, ancestry, customs and nature with each other and rekindle the appreciation of our own environ."  (Jasmine's words).  Pop on over to Jasmine's page, Natures Whispers, for more of these `posts. 

Winter in my Town
Winter has reached thee once again at last,
And now the rambler, whom the grove yet please,


Feels on his house-warm lips the thin air freeze,


While in his shrugging neck the resolute blast


Comes edging; and the leaves, in heaps down cast


He shuffles with his hastening foot and sees


The cold sky whitening through the wiry trees


And sighs to think his loitering noons have passed...

Photos by Debrina 2010
Poem by James Leigh Hunt who wrote this one somewhere between 1814-18 whilst in prison

Last weekend, Andy, Jason and I went for a walk down our street.  It only took 5 mins to get to the shops for a coffee, and on my way I photographed what was under my feet.  Jason's favourite point on the journey is always here:


He always gets down on his hands and knees and peers into this hole.

What is that hole there for?  It's in the middle of the footpath and always fills up with water after the rain.  It has a white, smooth concave bottom...perhaps it's a swimming pool for the fairies?

 And I just love the blend of litter and leaf in this shot.

To create or link to your own special, magical place, pop on over to Jasmines.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what else have I been up to?  Well, just a tiny bit of drawing....this with blue pen and ink:

This was actually inspired by a card I bought in Melbourne.  I loved the theme, so I set about imitating it.  Don't you just love the bees with their curly tails and fairy-like wings?

I was also the proud recipient of some Mail Art from Lyle from Just a Note.
Thanks Lyle!  Love the pecking birds and the rich rust colour of the envelope.

And, as you can see, I have been experimenting (once again) with the look of my blog.  The current design is actually from the new design range that blogger has created.  I love it!

I'm also currently scheming up an altered book that I'll make just for me.  I haven't actually made an altered book for myself before, so I'm really going to indulge!!  I'm thinking it will be a blend of my own photographs and lots of fabric and mixed media.

And that's about it, folks!
Oh, except this! How exciting!!

19 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm blown away by the leaves falling. It's so unique that your winter and my summer are the same months of the year. Simply can't wrap my head around that concept, so I'll have to rely on you and your camera to keep me grounded. Congrats on the really cool interview and a peek into your day. Loved that photo, too. It's good to have you back.

Corrine said...

Great interview. Enjoy your quiet time at night. I got heaps done when my kids were little. Now they stay up til almost as late as I do, so I'm trying to change my studio time to the mornings without much success yet.
Mmmmm I like the sound of an altered book just for yourself. I must take another look at my ones.
I'm busy gathering inspiration for the Nina Bagley retreat as well.

Four Seasons in a Life said...

Greetings,

When I think about you approaching winter while we are in the midst of summer, I cannot help but view it with humour.

It was great seeing your work and learning what you have been up to while I have been on my leave of absence.

Wishing you a wonderful weekend,
Egmont

Dorthe said...

Oh dear, what gorgeus photoes, all there outside your door, nature`s wonders, and you going to winter, while I`m hoping for summer here in Denmark.Such a fantastic world we are living in,--If we could only all, take a little bit more care of all the gifts.
Hugs, Dorthe

ArtPropelled said...

Your new blog look is so refreshing, Debbie. Many lovely photos in this post..... the pebble amongst the autumn leaves .... and the blue pen and ink drawing.

Debrina said...

Hello lovely friends. Thank you for your cheery comments and yes, it's true, it is a strange world we live in! Winter in the southern part of the world and summer in the north...
Corrine - I have yet to start saving for Nina, so I will start next pay! I've decided to stop buying my lunch and putting the money aside, instead, just for the trip to see you and Nina.

Samantha Marshall said...

Hi Debrina,
Your photos are very cool- I love the hole in the ground- how intriguing...
Love your drawing, too.
The new look blog looks great!!!

the GyPsY said...

Lovely Debs .. I went and saw your day.. :-) Love the photos, the best leaves I ever saw were during the 4 years I spent in Toronto - I took pics and I even collected and dried the leaves, which I then carried with me across the oceans to Dubai!! I eventually used them in an art collage.
Love

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Beautiful photos and poem Debrina. Your blog is looking lovely

Carolyn x

La Dolce Vita said...

great post debs! yes methinks it is a fairy swimmin hole that you have to step over! and your bees are charming! love those wings! hope your winter is not as brutal as ours was! from the looks of it, it is mild!

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

yes make one that is just for you dear friend, the joys will never stop flowing. Please feel free to nourish your spirit with special works to ease the flow of our daily lives. Lovely photographs. Imagine and Live in PEACE, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Debrina said...

Oh yes - I know you guys in the Northern hemisphere had a horrid winter just gone and ours is definitely proving to be relatively mild. Lots of rain these past few weeks though...
Fadwa - how delightful to be in Toronto when it was Autumn!! That must have been absolutely magic!!!

Patti said...

I love your new look (and photos) which I mentioned on the post I just did - about summer - ha. I need a new look too, just haven't been brave enough or had adequate time...
I'm so glad you're back and it's amazing to me that winter is settling in, as Elizabeth said. Maybe I should summer there?
So glad you're back!!!

In the Light of the Moon said...

I love your photos and I couldnt stop smiling at the thought of taking photos of where your feet wander.How we take for granted the things right under our nose.Love the look of the blog too!!Big Hugs-Cat

Bill Evertson said...

I love those looking down photos; all the wonderful chance elements rushing past our feet. New blog look is great; very refreshing and light. The work show off nicely!

Cathy said...

Very inspiring post Debrina. The nature photos are gorgeous and I love the poem that goes with them. Your blue lady is lovely too.

I have been too nervous of losing something in my blog to use the new layout designs but this one is quite wonderful.

layers said...

First, I love all the images at the beginning of your post and the words are lovely... and your art work is so inspiring.

Titus said...

Loved these images - probably the lichen shots most of all.

Jasmine said...

Such a magical post. I think you are right, that must be a swimming pool for the fairies. Thank you so much for joining in. Your art cards a wonderful xxJ