Thursday, 26 August 2010

MMCA Marketplace and my Interview!



  • My private marketplace - D.Price-Ewen (studio shelves)
    MISSION
    Marketplace ~ A place to connect, promote, inspire and share resources to help others live a creative life in their artful journey!

I am very proud and very honoured to have been featured in 

Debbie Overton's MMCA Marketplace.  

Her Mission Statement, above, is so inspiring that I find myself constantly going back and forth to her site (like my shelves in my studio!) to mine its wealth of information, shared wisdom and inspiration.  If anyone has their finger on the pulse, it's Debbie and her contributors.  So,  I have replicated (whilst trying to keep to copyright) the entire interview here for your perusal.  I really enjoy visiting MMCA and so I implore you, do go over and say hi to Debbie, leave comments, read the interviews and the wonderful advice of her creative contributors: Seth Apter, Christine Mason Miller and Cindy Davis.

Artist Interview with Debbie Price-Ewen aka Debrina

Debrina PhotoToday's Artist Interview is with Debbie (Price-Ewen) - aka "Debrina" from New Zealand, the "Governess" and various other pseudonyms. Debs is a mixed media artist but also loves to paint. Her other jobs include being a mum to her son Jason (born 2008) and a librarian (where she can get all the inspiration she needs from her books!). She also loves writing and reading poetry, trading atc's, writing letters to random people and including a bit of art in and on the envelope, her witchy house and garden, cooking, sewing, knitting, and any other domestic goody yum yum pursuits...
Artwork courtsey of the artist and can be clicked to enlarge for viewing details.
MP:   How do you describe yourself as an artist?
DPE (my real name is Debbie Price-Ewen): Very fluid and open to experimenting.  I like to begin a project with an “idea” that evolves.  I love the process as much as the end-result.
1
MP:  Describe your creative space.
DPE: Large but cramped because I collect a lot of stuff. 
2
MP:  Is there any time of day that you find you are the most creative?  Do you try to schedule studio time or do you p refer to follow the muse?
DPE: All day is creative time for me!  Well, that’s the ideal, but as you know from reading The day in the life of Debrina, mornings are the best, then night if I am desperate to get into the studio.
3
MP:  What are three words that your fellow art fans would use to describe you and your art?
DPE: I’m scouring my blog for some adjectives…hang on a minute…
Right, here we go: earthy, evocative and awesome He he…that’s me! 
4
MP:  As an artist, we have many roles, which do you find to be the most rewarding and which the most challenging for you?
DPE: I love art blogging – it is my most satisfying and rewarding role as an artist.  I think the artist network on blogger is one of the most amazing, generous communities I belong to.  I have made so many friends around the world and have participated in many swaps and collaborations. My greatest source of inspiration, in turn, is from fellow artist’s blogs.
My most challenging role has been that of a mother/artist.  As a new mum (well not so new now) my two year old places huge demands on my time.  Sometimes I feel guilty if I want to just escape to the studio!  However, I get frazzled if I don’t get in there, which in turn makes me a frazzled mum.  I think this role, particularly for women artists, has always been a challenge.  I remember seeing the most amazing video on YouTube about that once.  Let’s see if I can find it (can you tell I’m also a full-time librarian?)…hang on one mo….
Yes, here it is: http://www.whodoesshethinksheis.net/
When I saw that video, I threw my hands up in the air and went “Yes, halleluiah!” I don’t have to feel guilty anymore. 
5
MP:  How do you manage to get in your social networking time?
DPE: Late at night usually; I can only manage once a week; sometimes twice, but that’s very rare. 
6
MP:   When you’re not working, how do you spend your time?
DPE: I like to art first then read (I’m traditionally a big reader) and I love to exercise whenever I can.  Exercise before I art is ideal; the latest research from Aberdeen and Leeds Universities proves that students in schools perform better at tests, etc. after they’ve exercised.  Oops, that was the librarian in me again, sorry! 
7
MP:  Is there anything you would like the art world to know about you that we did not cover in our interview?
DPE: Um, well, I have this odd liking for teeny tiny things and I like to probe around in people’s minds for stories.  If you were ever lucky enough to be interrogated by me, don’t be offended; I’m just prizing open the oyster shell to get to the pearl. 
To learn more about Debrina visit her blog and learn more about the Pulp Redux Project here.

Debrina, thank you for sharing with the Marketplace readers. 
******************************
To publish/reprint this interview you must respect the copyrights of the author and MMCA Marketplace by publishing the entire interview as it is with no changes, including title and content with ALL links active and clickable.  You must include the following (between the dashed lines) in the same font size at the end of the interview.  Without adhering to ALL of the above is a violation of copyright laws.  Common courtesy is to let the author and MMCA Marketplace know when you reprint this interview.
-----------------------------------------------
This interview is courtesy of the MMCA Marketplace Blog, a place to connect, promote, inspire and share resources to help others live a creative life in their artful journey!  The MMCA Marketplace Blog is a subsidiary of Debbie Overton Designs LLC.

22 comments:

NuminosityBeads said...

Nice interview Debrina! Loving your work as always.
xoxo KIm

Dorthe said...

Hi dear,
loved your interview,
I think you just said ,what every mom feels, in the whole big world--know my daughter does,too---
so happy you manage to create all those fantastic things, even mom to a 2 year old ---the pieces shown here, in the interview, are amazing, Debrina.
Hugs, Dorthe

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I think I saw your interview on MMCA Marketplace, but certainly don't remember all that awesome art. I particularly loved the fiber and fabric experiment and "Defiance." These not only speak to me, they make me want to play in my studio. So you can add the adjectives inspiring and colorful, too.

Lovely art and wonderful interview.

Patti said...

fabuloso Mistress D! I consider myself one of your lucky blog friends and I know what you mean about mom guilt - I saw that video and probably need to watch it once a week - ha!
All of the pieces you posted - and your display items for the upcoming show are delicious!
I'll be sure to visit the marketplace.

Debrina said...

Thank you everyone!! You sweet things you! Coming on by to say hi!!

Seth said...

Read this over at MMCA. So great to hear from you and learn more about you too. The images really show off your amazing work so well!

Lynette (NZ) said...

Great interview and lovely art. LOVE that link - thanks for sharing :-)

Lynette (NZ) said...

PS - I have linked to this post on my blog post Friday review of the week ;-)

Jasmine said...

Debrina, that is a wicked interview, and such a lovely picture of you too. I've just joined an art mail group on blogger. Would you like to join? Its a very small group, but lots of fun and very informal xxxJ

Faerie Moon Creations said...

How fabulous! This was a wonderful interview. I feel like I got to know you and your work so much better. Congratulations! Theresa

Lynette (NZ) said...

Me again! Thanks for your posts on my blog. Did you realise you are a 'no-reply blogger'? Anyway - didn't make it to the cloth fair today, but hope to make it next time...espcially if you will be there ;-)

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

YAAAAY! Way to go you! This is very cool and rightly so you are proud of yourself! YAAAAY!

Lovely to see a pulpy bit pop up too:)

Samantha Marshall said...

Wonderful interview, Debrina!!!Loving all the ultra cool art, too.

Debrina said...

Hi everyone! Well Jasmine - that does sound interesting, I'll look into it. Lynette - I'm stumped, what is a no reply blogger? I'll have to check my settings. Sam Theresa and Lisa - yeya, and thank you. :-) One of teh reasons I posted this interview was so that you could get to know me a bit better...so I'm glad it has helped do that.

La Dolce Vita said...

congrats!!! great article and fabulous art pieces to add to it! awesome Debs!!!

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

YOU Are so generous spirit you are and the interview is lovely. I do not know how you manage to keep up with the family, the arts and writing such lovely posts. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Gaby Bee said...

Hi sweets, what a nice photo of you.

I am always delighted at everything you make. You are so multi talented, I like all the diplay items for the upcoming show.

Loved the interview!

Thanks for stopping by :-)

Dezinaworld said...

Fabulous interview, i really enjoyed reading it and being inspired by this talented ladies art
hugs June xxx

Kim Palmer said...

Oh my God Debs, I really did fall off the planet. Had no idea about the interview, congrats, well deserved! Love MMCA and a great interview. Mwah!

Jo Archer said...

That was brilliant Debbie, congratulations! Love the photos of you and Jason. (Your parcel should be with you soon too) xxx

MrCachet said...

I'm sorry - my machine was in the Electronic ER twice last week, one of those was a total meltdown of the system board. I am trying to catch up Debrina, so you were on my list of visits. Congratulations on the Interview! It's always nice to get a little good ink!

Susan Williamson said...

I really enjoyed reading your interview. You're just magical!