Thursday, 23 September 2010

It's been a while...

Charlotte assemblage in tin.  This assemblage has been entirely sunk in resin. (Among the numerous ingredients are: ink, driftwood, twine, copper wire, x4 cross-sections of a sea sponge, old testament pages, whole allspice seeds, moss, wall-paper and frozen charlotte from Altered Bits)
D.Price-Ewen 2010

Close up of Charlotte Assemblage 
Copyright 2010 D.Price-Ewen

It has indeed been a while!  I've had a busy couple of weeks with my husband's 40th to plan and host; giving talks around the country about the merits of E-Readers (long story) and of course, preparing for and then attending the Alt.Shift.Crft art fair, which was an amazing success just this Sunday past:

 Close ups of my stall (top and bottom)

All of my necklaces, earrings and quite a few of my cuffs sold!  I was absolutely stoked.  I even managed to sell one of my collages.  If you're curious to see the video of this event, then you can view it here. The biggest success for me, however, was getting the workshop I'm holding next week booked up.  This will be my first workshop.  One of many, I hope.  And if you're curious to see what it's all about, you can hop on to my new website (which, I must stress, is still under construction).  Also, if you are a Palmerston North-onian or a Manawtu-ian, then there are still a couple of places left.  So let me know if you are interested in having a fun day at my house making altered art (and getting fed at the same time)!

Next on my busy agenda is the preparation for the next art fair (November 29th) and my friend Bill Evertson's Seeking Kali online exhibition.  I will be a contributing artist, so please watch that space.  For now, though, here's the latest contribution to this spectacular exhibition:

©Keith Buchholz_how to draw a tender button (above)


and one of the earlier ones:

©Lawrence Charles Miller_Kali Tattoo

I'm pretty sure Bill and co. are still calling for artists, so if you are interested, do tell them I sent you!

Finally, I have my last Pulp Redux contribution to make.  This will signal the end, for me, of my contributions to this most amazing and soulful experience.  I now count among my closest friends the four woman I collaborated with on this incredible project.  I will be dedicating one of my posts here to the entire collaboration upon my finishing the last book.

I must also apologise, here, for once again not getting round to each of you to catch up and say hi.  Well,  lucky you, it's the holidays for me now, so I'll be popping on by soon to say hi!!

28 comments:

Lyn Newhouse said...

Charlotte assemblage is a great piece, I love it :)

Jasmine said...

Good to see you back Debrina, and congratulations on your many successes. Happy birthday to your soul mate xJ

Samantha Marshall said...

Amazing art, Debrina!!!!Haapy Birthday to your husband, too. Congratulations on the fair. Good luck with the workshop.
xxxx

Debrina said...

Thank you beautiful ladies. The Charlotte piece was something I only actually whipped up today - I'm supposed to be sick (well, actually, I am still). I've got tonsilitis but I can't bear lying down all day.

lyle baxter said...

deb. chalotte looks great! and hooray for your success at the fair. you are a busy woman these days. have fun! lyle

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

That Charlotte assemblage really made my night. It is amazing. I love everything about it from the elements to the composition to the colors.

Happy birthday wishes to your hubby, too. So glad you did so well at the art fair. It's always good to hear when an altered artist does well. Way to go, also way to go on your first workshop. Hope it's a success.

Can't wait to see the Pulp Redux entry. It's been a really wonderful project, that's for sure.

William Evertson said...

Thanks for putting up the Seeking Kali link Debrina. You have been in overdrive here. The art fair looked great and even better to fill up a workshop. I'm sure you'll rock it! I can't wait to see what you can come up with for the Kali call. I'm making a video/slideshow loop of the online submissions to exhibit at the SAL Gallery of Long Island University on 10/3; so don't delay (plenty of honey and tea and back to work, lol)

La Dolce Vita said...

great work even while sick!! you can't keep a good artist down! congrats on the show! that is wonderful, and there really is a handmade revolution going on!! fun to be in the middle of it eh? xox

Dorthe said...

Debrina, so happy for you, the fair was a great succes-and congratulations with -full house-on your class-- and also with your husbond.
Your Charlotte assemblage is fantastic-and I`m sure the Pulp Redux to come, will be so spÄecial and beautifull-like the others.
Hugs, Dorthe

JafaBrit's Art said...

ooooooooooooooh, you have been busy and in so many lovely ways. I wish I lived nearby so I could take one of your workshops. Your work is just fantastic.

No need to apologize for not being able to visit :) too often. Looks like you've got a smashing excuse.

sending my best

alteredbits said...

congrats on your sales and upcoming workshop, lady! this is all so fantastic! love the little peek of my book on your gorgeous art table too -- you're so sweet. :)

Sanja said...

Fabulos tin assemblage .Love it!

ArtPropelled said...

I was wondering how the craft fair turned out and am thrilled it was such a success. Well done Debrina! Hope your tonsilitis clears up quickly.

Seth said...

Wonderful to hear how busy and successful you have been. Congrats on the craft fair -- not at all surprised to hear you did well. And so many other good things happening too. Hope you are basking!

Mar said...

i am so glad for you to have a successful fair!!!
and then a booked up class wonderful!!!

happy birthday to husband...i remember 40...enjoy these next 10
after that
heh heh...

Lynette (NZ) said...

Hi Debs - thanks for your comment on my post about the cards. I have never sold my stuff, but your comment is prompting me to think about it. Thanks :-)

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Hi Debrina! SO happy to hear the show was a success - your cuffs and collages are lovely. It's no surprise to me that they sold. :) And congrats on having your workshop booked. That is great news indeed! Have a wonderful week and happy birthday to your beloved. Theresa

Cathy said...

Its a while since I have been here too Debrina. Your work is as lovely as ever. I wish I lived over there and could attend your workshops. Good luck with them. I am sure they will be a runaway success.

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I am sending you loving hugs of healing...you need to protect your body...the vessel of your creativity. I realize you have a young little person who loves mommy but here is healing and soft snuggles. Amazing assemblage here young lady...lately I have been seeing little dolls, doll heads, and bits and pieces everywhere. I wish you a peaceful recovery little one. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I am sending you loving hugs of healing...you need to protect your body...the vessel of your creativity. I realize you have a young little person who loves mommy but here is healing and soft snuggles. Amazing assemblage here young lady...lately I have been seeing little dolls, doll heads, and bits and pieces everywhere. I wish you a peaceful recovery little one. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Debrina said...

Hi everybody - your well wishes and kind remarks make me smile from here to eternity. Unfortunatley, as Mary Helen just noted, I am sick, sick, sick. Tonsilitis which then moved to glandular fever, which in turn has given me viral hepatitis, according to the doc. I've been sleeping almost all day (thank god for Jason's daycare!) just to ensure I've got energy for him when he comes home. Art is off the agenda right now, sadly, and so too my workshop (boo hoo).

Kim Palmer said...

Popped in the other day and had to leave before I could comment so I'm back again! Congrats on the art show Debs, no suprise it went so well. Love your resin play with charlotte, how fun!

Deborah said...

Gorgeous work! Congratulations on your success!

Lisa said...

I knew you'd be a smashing success at your art show. I hope you are resting up and taking it easy so you can jump back on the bandwagon soon!
Happy birthday to your hubby!
The Charlotte assemblage is a fantastic piece.. she reminds me of being underwater...hmmm. did you make that while you weren't feelin well?

Toemailer said...

Very nicely energized unique art! Going to bookmark this excellent blog!

Debrina said...

It's Friday, the end of my holidays. I can't believe how sick I was all of last week and the beginning of this week. But miraculously, I am almost 100% better. What gives? I'm going to put it down to rest and sleep. :-)
Thanks for all of your wonderful comments, everybody! And how nice to discover, Toemail! You made my day! :-)

Elizabeth said...

So busy! So much going on!!! Congrats with your faulous art sale - it is a ton of exhausting work!!! The very best of luck with your first home workshop- the first of many I am sure!!! i am still working on getting that going in my art space- must put the pedal to the metal and get her done!!! Pulp Redux finished so sad!!! but so very successful- It is so very nice when you click with a great group and everyone followes thru with such amazing contributions!!!!

Susan Williamson said...

Loved the Charlotte assemblage. I think I could spend the rest of my life experimenting with them.