Thursday, 21 October 2010

The Call of the Small and Crazy Back Yard Finds

'Encircled' by D.Price-Ewen 2010
Mixed Media on a small canvas 10x15cm or 4x6"

Well, I'm gearing up for the next Alt.Shift.Craft artisan's fair at the end of November...just before xmas.  It's Spring here in New Zealand and finally (finally!) the weather is beginning to settle.  It has been all of the seasons in one day here for weeks and weeks now and we're all mighty sick of it.

And, as it is spring, what is the season for but spring cleaning!!?  Well, hubby and I are currently preparing our backyard for a major overhaul.  We're aiming to concrete a large space next to our back doorstep, for setting up table and chairs and a barbecue.  However, we also have some repairs to do on that side of the house so as I started to prune back the weeds and pull back the old hardiplank that makes up the skirting of the back wall, 2 year old Jason decided to start poking around through the cavity I'd made!! Arrrgh.  Well, I never imagined his explorations would reveal a great deal of old rusted up metal findings, did I?!!!

Image from: Frank I. Reiter's Rust, Paint and Organics

Well, that's what he discovered...a veritable Tutankhamun's tomb of rust!  Previous owners had stashed a heap of old paint cans etc under the house after they built it and Jason found them all.  The paint from the cans, long dried up, had congealed into the lids and over time the lids had turned to rust.  As well as that, rusty wire, nails, bits of metal and goodness knows what else.  Previosuly inaccessible because it was bordered up and hidden by the wood. OMG, I love you son!!! 


So, I took bits from our pile of discovery and made the small canvas at the top of this post.  It's entitled 'Encircled' because of the rusty wire we found and some of the rust flakes from the paint cans - if you enlarge the picture, you'll see all the flakes I've incorporated into the piece.   I'm also experimenting with fusing wire and certain meltable fabrics and fibre together...as well as wrapping said burnt offerings with thread.  That's what you can seeing going on at the top of the girl in my piece.  It's not quite finished yet, as I've still got to shellac over the background and resin over the image, but it's good enough to post now, me thinks.  Anyway, I'm planning on a series of these for the fair...I'm going to line them all up on my display table and see how they go.

Oooo and I should add this to my post...a pile of my magpie "finds" from the week just gone...including one of the large rust flakes Jason found. :-)

Working clockwise, from the outside into the center: 1) vintage pill box with wooden beads 2) silver link bracelet with stamped or imprinted medieval crusade vignettes 3) rust flakes 4) wooden pendant pieces, 5) metal grate 6) clay cone pendants 7) small wood beads 8) large wood circle 9) blue clay beads 10) silver pendant

37 comments:

Sandra Evertson said...

Most enjoyable blog!

Sandra Evertson

Lisa said...

your new found old treasures have given you some great elements for a brilliant mixed media piece!bravo..i like what you've dug up and assembled here!

NuminosityBeads said...

Nothing like free rusty stuff for your pieces.I love what you've done already. It's nice to think about spring happening for you. Thanks for stopping by today.
xoxo Kim

Debrina said...

Thanks ladies! And yes, spring is finally happening, Kimberley! There really is nothing like free rusty stuff either!

Frank said...

I'm pleased to hear you liked my photograph, and you are welcome to use the reduced version you posted here. Thanks for showing the respect of asking.

Namaste.

sharon said...

Ahhhh! Pure serendipity, and a luscious piece you've created!

Very inspiring!

layers said...

I love rusty finds and to see how they are recreated into a new collage or assemblage.

Lynette (NZ) said...

Love your collage - what a wonderful find...and I just got such a buzz discovering my blog in your list on your sidebar - thanks :-) Happy long weekend

Amy said...

It would be tricky for me to tell you how inspired I am by this. I am so motivated to attempt a mixed media canvas!
A

Debrina said...

Hello Donna, Lynette, Amy and Sharon. Lovely to see you here!! Thanks for visiting. Amy - I've just now put you on my blog roll. OMG, I feel terrible - I thought I had you up there!! Lynette - you're so welcome chicky dee! You rock! And Frank - thanks so much for letting me use your fabulous photo!! Donna and Sharon - I'm coming on by to return the visit!

kiwicarole said...

Hope you got the baby sitter booked!! You coming tomorrow night? Hope so!
Carole

Sanja said...

Hi Debrina,
thank you for your lovely visit and comments :-)
Love your mixed media piece. Very creativ and inspiring.
Have a wonderful day
Sanja xox

alteredbits said...

i love that wee boy of yours! if we had an under part of the house and not a basement, i'd have him explore here, too! (actually, we have a space under our front porch but there are dead kittens there so i hereby rethink my previous statement as i wouldn't want to scar the precious little one!) rusty metal is always the best find! i lovelove that pendant and bracelet too!

kiss the little man for me!

Marie-Aimée said...

I really love your creation

Debrina said...

Thanks ladies! Sanja - always inspired by your lovely postings! We do seem to be on the same wave length at times too..which makes me very pleased indeed. Just love what you come up with from week to week!

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Yay for Jason! I understand your joy ofcourse!
That collage....just fantastic! Probably one of my favs of yours, just wonderful:)

Toni said...

Don't you just love digging in previous inhabitants stuff? And rusty too! What a find.

Healing Woman said...

Love your rusty old post! I get just as excited as you did (when your son found the rusty stash) when I go to our local flea market. The wonders I have uncovered there in the past has made for some very fun art pieces.

Your creation is sublime. I'm sure you have more to work with for another one too.

Thanks for posting.

Marie-Aimée said...

thank you very much for your message. You can use the translator who is in the right column

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

My theme in a current swap is RUST and LAYERS, so this post spoke to me. I really love the piece you created and now must go out and rust a few pieces myself! Truly awesome and rust simply can't be copied or replicated in paint.

La Dolce Vita said...

oh, Debs! you have spring finally, that wild unpredictable weather season, no matter where we live!! lol!! love the stash your darling son found and the new pieces are lovely, and where did you find the magpie stash, praytell?

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Can't wait to see what you create from your newfound treasures! Love your art piece, as well. Very "rustic." Theresa

Deborah said...

Great finds and collage!

Debrina said...

Oh you are all so sweet!! Cat, my magpie finds come from local sources: the Sanson flea market on Sunday (pill box and bracelet); my friend's beadshop (blue and terracota clay beads); Spotlight (yay 4 Spotlight - all my Kiwi friends will understand that one!)and from always looking at the ground wherever I go! Plus Jason, he he.

ArtPropelled said...

Quite the treasure trove in your own back garden! It doesn't take much to inspire us does it ... and look what you have created with your finds!? Interesting that Jason is developing magpie habits just like his mum.

Jo Archer said...

He's his mother's son alright! This is what I love about making stuff with found objects; turning it into something truly beautiful and your piece really is. x

WINDOWLAD said...

...what a lovely treats...

Good day!!!:)

>Kelvin

Elizabeth said...

One never knows whaqt treasures wil be lurching!!! Hope Jasons tetanus shots are up to date!!!

Train him young and he will bring his Mum treasures forever!!!!!
Love your new piece and I can't wait to see more!!! My kids are loving using your phrase form your last comment- regarding me- They think that CLever Clog is hysterical!!!! thanks, I think???

azirca said...

I think that you may have discovered the holy grail of rust, and right under your feet too! Love your other 'finds' too.

Debrina said...

Hello awesome ladies! Azirca - I believe congratulations are in order! Well done for having your steampunk (read: genius!) pieces accepted for the grand steampunk exhibition down in Oamaru this year: steampunk capitol of the world!!!!! Yeah!!!!

Elizabeth - I wonder if "clever clogs" is a uniquely NZ thing, or at least British? I'll have to find the etymology for it.

Coming on by to see you all shortly!

Mar said...

your thought process is most interesting..as awalys a delightful post!

i LOVE rusty stuff

Lynn said...

I really love your collage canvas Debrina, and what a bunch of great stuff you found, fun!!!!

In the Light of the Moon said...

There is so much I love about your Canvas..its just wonderful!!!I love the stitching you did around the wire,the puzzle piece,the lovely rust...oooooh how wonderful it is!!!

And how wonderful to find such treasures tucked away!!

Big Hugs,Cat

Susan Williamson said...

What a great post! Nothing like rust because rust never sleeps. (Wish I could remember where the last part of that phrase comes from).

Darcy said...

love the rusted metal photos. i get laughed at for taking photos of bits of metal and peeling paint and rotten wood etc lol

thankyou so much for the wonderful compliment you left on my blog.xxx

Debrina said...

Thnaks you awesome ladies!! I always say this, but you guys rock...you're what makes blogging worth it!!

THE OLD GEEZER said...

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You :-)

~Ron