Sunday, 3 October 2010

Seeking Kali...



Seeking Kali and then finding her was a little daunting.  I thought I knew her but then, do we ever really know anyone?  ;-)
Kali, as one aspect of the Triple Goddess or Hindu Tridevi, is a paradoxical figure.  Popularly, Kali is seen as an all devouring, tongue lolling harridan. But she is also a life-giver.  So in my collage, I tried to show this aspect of her.  The text, as part of my collage, reads:

 "Who is Kali? Kali is often portrayed as a devouring goddess of death, but she is also the symbol of eternal time: she does not just destroy life, she also gives it." 

I thought a lot about this.  I really wanted to show her in a synoptic light:  as a comprehenisve whole.  The cross-section of the nautilus illustrates the ever spiralling inhale and exhale of life and death: reincarnation, recycling, rebirth.  The egg, a promise of life and life's potential is shadowed by death...always.  As my husband is fond of quoting, "...birth is the longest death of all". 

I have also detoured away from the traditional 4 armed representation of Kali...I wanted 6 to represent her as one aspect of 3...let's not forget she is part of a whole.  Those arms support life, point to the eternal and embrace death.

What more could you ask for?
Ask Kali....

Once again, you can seek her out here at Bill Evertson's absolutely superb online exhibition.  Pop on over and celebrate paradox, amazing artwork, beautiful music (his son's, in fact), incredible, moving and powerful poetry; and Bill's videos. 

10 comments:

Kim Palmer said...

Great collage Deb, I think you captured the essence of your idea brilliantly! Hope ewe are feelin a little less woolly, LOL!

Samantha Marshall said...

Fantastic-perfect symbolism to show the various aspects of Kali!!!I love your page.

Karen Cole said...

I must come back for a visit. So much to see, so little time.

Thank you so much for visiting me. I am truly appreciative.

You have so much beautiful texture in your work Debbie....(is that right Debrina?). There is so much going on here....many layers to view. Interesting site.

Lisa said...

beautiful red. stunning piece...very cerebral...you and Alicia are good that way!
Hope you are feeling more like yourself these days

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Truly a stunning piece of art. I love the feeling you put into this, as well as your thoughts on how you wanted her to appear.

Debrina said...

Hey girls - thanks so much. Popping on by to return the favour and catch up again and say hi!

William Evertson said...

I love what you have written about the piece. When I saw the nautilus at the center of the composition I was really wowed by the wonderful implications of the spiral.

ArtPropelled said...

Yours is one of my favourites. Great work Deb!I loved the exhibition.

Debrina said...

Thanks Bill and Robyn!

Faerie Moon Creations said...

This is a beautiful piece. It's complex and visually compelling. Theresa