Tuesday, 31 May 2011

Flexing my sketching...

Look out Spock, here comes Mrs Spock!

Frida inspired beauty
 Well, it's been an age since I actually sat down and did some sketching.  Both were fairly quick: both done at my friend Pania's house because I'd been looking through her sketchbook from design school and got totally inspired.  One of Pania's pictures, in particular, was that of a rather exotic looking Victorian/Frida type look- a-like, below:
If you zoom into this one by clicking on her, you'll see the lovely free flowing drawing technique of Pania's.  It's really quite delightful.  I just love responding to other people's work, it's so inspiring; so I welcome anyone who would like to try and respond to mine to do so and let me know all about it ;-)

I got so inspired, in fact, that I dug up some old doodles and sketches from years back and I was reminded immediately in doing so, that one of my resolutions this year was to keep an art journal:



1987 cat sketches (when I was just 16)

2000 sketches, above and below, after touring the magical South Island (the West coast) of New Zealand.  Complete with my interpretation of the Mania - a good luck talisman of the Maori people (the indigenous people of NZ)

Ideas for a NZ bestiary??
Well, that's it form me for another couple of weeks.  I can't believe I actually managed to get time to make two postings for the month of May!  Wow.

Love Debs

16 comments:

MrCachet said...

Quality beats quantity every time!

Terri Kahrs said...

This awesome post was well worth the wait! Love ALL of your sketches!!! Hugs, Terri

alteredbits said...

love your sketches and pan's -- gorgeous. i am particularly fond of the girls in the last one. you do ladies so well. :)

Debrina said...

Ha ha...yes, my little devious fairy women are a bit of a treat. They just kinda popped on out and onto the page.

Jill Zaheer said...

Love looking at your sketches Debrina- and what a coincidence- I just posted ( yes 2 times this month!! :) ) and have a picture of frida but- not one that I drew! i must dig out a picture of a cat I sketched on one of those india ink covered boards from high school. Love your flexings- showing us your sketchings!! Just super!!

Flower said...

Those pages look familar! Mrs spock is hot. Loving her top too, can you whip me one up please?

Lisa said...

good to see you back.. if just for a glimpse.. i used to do a lot of freelance illustrating..it certainly brings one back to the basics of art and design doesn't it? Your sketched are divine...

Debrina said...

Hello lovely people. Ahhh Flower, I'll see what I can do. It is rather lovely isn't it...simple but sexy ;-). Well, I know you're sexy but simple?
Jilly! Gawd I just LOVE your new mugshot! Beautiful and sexy!
Lisa, I want to hear more about your freelance days. That sounds fascinating....and a little s..e..x..y! Ha ha

Amy said...

I like these - it's so cool and personal to see sketches, like a glimpse at a person, you know? Finished art can be mysterious and like... i don't know -
forget it, i don't make any damn sense ever,
i think it's just my way of saying that i really like this post because sketches are

forget it.

I'm glad i came by, that's all.

Xx,
Amy

Debrina said...

I know what you mean, exactly!

Samantha Marshall said...

I love your sketches!!!

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I am praying for all of New Zealand...the earthquakes keep returning. Are you Okay? I love your drawings from the south island...the ferns are so sacred to me. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez stewart

Seth said...

What a great collection of sketches. So happy you posted them and hope we get to see more!

Debrina said...

Dear blogger! Why can I leave comments on some people's blogs and not on others?? It's frustrating beyond belief!!! Grrrrr.

Gaby Bee said...

Fabulous sketches, Debrina! I´m curious for more.

Have a wonderful rest of this week and a sunny upcoming wekend!

Hugs,
Gaby

Dianne said...

I have always loved the texture and beauty of your romantic mixed media pieces, but your sketches are wonderful too! keep going...