Saturday, 25 June 2011

My Garden Journal; Project Noah and a delightful new drawing group on Facebook

Page one of my Garden Journal...inset is my artist name (made by an artist friend) and my stitiched, gardening dream diary.  The Diary is kept in place by sliding its back cover through a ribbon pocket (which you can see some of just above the diary)

Right door to book closed.  This was a delightful cover to make for my journal: incorporating real flower petals and dried grass and then sewing on precious little flower buttons.

Hands up all those frustrated with Blogger right now? Ok, I'm raising both hands here as my frustration over not being able to leave comments and/or receive any (even after applying the "fix" suggestions put out by the wonderful Blogger community that you are). I am beginning to wonder if we are not being conditioned towards a "Blogger Pro" app: one that guarantees no bugs so long as you pay for it! Alright, that might just be the cynic in me writing....Anyway, if you have stumbled upon ANY fixes, please do let me know.


Eye Spy...a view into the dream world, where my garden soul resides

Well, dear friends, I have been working steadily away at a project of mine this winter (I live in New Zealand for those of you who don't know), to celebrate the summer past and the one yet to come this year. I had a bumper crop year for fruit and vegetable right through to May but now my gardens lie fallow (I like to think  my garden plots are hybernating).  So, I have been celebrating their memory in my Garden Journal. 


The white salvia that grew around one of our native trees (left) and the memory of the families of birds that nested in our garden

Garden Dream Diary: detail of cover

Milton always does it for me and this verse is so very spiritual as well as elemental....
I have been doing lots of reading from The Findhorn Garden diaries and the entries have been nothing but inspiring.  Garden angels and devas may not be everyone's cuppa tea but for me, the "unseen" elements in my garden are felt and respected; nurtured and celebrated.  Every inch of life perceived is precious: physical and spiritual.  My dream diary, which invites my soul to record, is the beginning of this connection with the unseen.    Indeed, a recurring dream of mine is to walk through the wildways of our village in Sanson until I get to a light copse of trees that then turns to heavy undergrowth and finally a subterranean path that leads to a thick forest of trees.  As the trees begin to thin out an old gardener presents himself and shows me his multitude of healthy vegetable plots: half wild with weeds but lush with productive growth.  This dream visited me all through the summer and persists even now: 


And still with nature, I have discovered the website Project Noah, which has become for me a source of endless wonder as I catch up on latest "spottings" of wildlife around the globe.  It's a very simple concept and encourages people from all walks of life to upload photos and a bit of information about their discovery, be it a mushroom growing in their backyard or a lioness and her cubs seen on safari!  I have been so inspired by some of these sightings that I have been making sketches and taking notes of some of the more intriguing discoveries. 

Which leads me to a most pleasing find on Facebook last night: Lyn Whipple's Daily Drawing Group.  You really must check this group out, it's so much fun!  Great way to flex your sketching!  See my last posting :-)

Love Debs




35 comments:

Flower said...

Awesome post & amazing diary. You up for a visitor tomorrow? I can't comment on my blog anymore, or leave any on half the blogs I follow! ggrrrrr

suziqu's thread works said...

Hi Deb This journal is beyond beautiful, enriching, enchanting and full of texture and gorgeous fibres.
I love it! Love all the stitching in the different threads too. I have known about the philosophies of Findhorn now for many years and I guess we adhere to similar principles on a mini scale.
I will email you with a little help with your blog,
Love and happy garden journalling which fills your heart with joy.
Suzy

Arty Em, Creativity Traveler said...

Findhorn!!!! Yes, I love them and their work, and I think your cover reflects the magic at work in your soul, it is beautiful and so generously textured, I love it.
I am going to Findhorn in Northern Scotland one day, I just know it. Maybe I will see you there!
best, Em

ArtPropelled said...

Looking at your beautiful garden journal makes me want to go outside and sit quietly in the sun contemplating the few flowers there are in my winter garden. The lavender is flowering and there are so many birds scratching, searching for whatever seed the monkeys have left them. I feed the birds twice a day and the monkeys cause mayhem but I suppose they're hungry too.

ArtPropelled said...

Yay ...... my comment made it! :-)

Deborah said...

So richly detailed. I can get lost just looking. I love the textures and subdued colors.

Lisa said...

your garden journal is a textural delight.. stunning and so full of serenity...as if seeds were ready to sprout from within..i love your concept!

Debrina said...

Now let's see if I can leave a comment from my android, shall we? Well firstly...thankyou all so much for attempting to leave a comment! I think I may have finally found a fix and it has something to do with a conflict in email accounts (I use 2: one for logon and the other 4 contact.)
Flower, you must pop round! That's always a much anticipated thing!
SuziQ, coming from you, that's a magnificent comment, as I love your journals and books so much!
Robin, yours is one of the blogs I usually can't access, so I will try my new fix on you first!
Arty Em - I owe you so much: thanks, respect and a blessing as well as a certain package which i have been promising for years now!
Lisa - do you see all your magic theads?

Debrina said...

Oh I knew Id forgotten someone! Deborah, bless you, sweet lady!

lyle baxter said...

I hear blogger problems are worldwide! you may be right! love your new journal! enjoy planning your garden for spring!

Terri Kahrs said...

So sorry to hear that you've been having Blogger problems too, Debrina! Ah-haaa! Android to the rescue! LOL!
OMG! Your journal is beyond exquisite!!! What a treasure!!! Hugs, TERri xoxo

Dorthe said...

Debrina, oh what a beauty, I love your nature journal- with the flower petals, grasses ,wonderful threads, and images- a gorgeus art work.
xo,Dorthe

MrCachet said...

Sorry I missed this one, Debrina. I had a son to marry off! Wonderful Eye Candy as usual!

Debrina said...

Thank you , lovely people!!!
Coming over to see you :-)

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Wonderful to read that your finding time to sketch and work on this wonderful journal! Project Noah sounds worth a look too...

Jill Zaheer said...

What a gorgeous post. Just crazy about your garden journal and love the closure for it that you've created. The Nature within it is so beautiful. I'm going to visit the Noah Project- sounds intriguing. I try to take pictures of nature every day so can't wait to take a peek. So inspired by your words "beginning of this connection with the unseen". I will keep this thought with me. There's so much that goes on around us that goes unnoticed- that's why it's so important for us to be mindful of all that's here. Thanks again for such beauty!! Enjoy your weekend!

Sallyt said...

Wowza, Debrina. I love your art. This journal looks AWESOME!! Thanks for commenting on my blog - I'm thrilled to find yours.

rivergardenstudio said...

This is gorgeous! AndI am loving reading your garden thoughts, especially those on connecting with the unseen. There is something magical in every garden... and your artwork is beautiful.
roxanne

Kim Palmer said...

This is gorgeous Deb. I love that you are able to incorporate all those natural elements into the journal. I know what you mean about blogger, it's driving me nuts! I am having some dreadful trouble trying to leave comments on blogs these days! Arrggh!

alteredbits said...

such lovely, textural goodness, lady! and yay findhorn! miss catching up with you, lady. chat soon.

Debrina said...

We will chat soon ma cherie! Thank you to all you other lovelies...
Your comments are so encouraging and heart felt.

Riki Schumacher said...

Hi Deb, thanks so much for swinging by and leaving such a warm comment. Appreciate it. And your journal is stunning! I LOVE it sooooo much, great job. An amazing amount of love and detail. Riki

Lovey said...

Just beautiful! D. Just beautiful!!

Debrina said...

Aww shucks. Thanks Riki and Lovey.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I can finally leave comments and am enjoying these spreads a LOT. I love both paper and fabric when they are used in tandem.

Samantha Marshall said...

WOW!! This is amazing- loving this journal.x

Seth said...

Your garden journal is sensational. There are so many details to explore and so much texture to be found. Love it!

ayumi said...

wonderful work! the way you discuss the subject i'm very impressed. i'll bookmark this webpage and be back more often to see more updates from you.

ayumi
www.brfe.net

Lee Shin said...

spot on with this write-up, i like the way you discuss the things. i'm impressed, i must say. i'll probably be back again to read more. thanks for sharing this with us.

Lee Shin
www.trendone.net

Aissa said...

Thank you for your article. It was kind of you to share what’s on your mind. I appreciate you for spending some time to publish this.


www.joeydavila.net

sarah lee said...

I really enjoyed reading your article. I found this as an informative and interesting post, so i think it is very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the effort you have made in writing this article.


edupdf.org

Leslie Lim said...


Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciate your efforts and I am waiting for your next write ups thanks once again.

Pauleen
www.imarksweb.org

Leslie Lim said...


Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciate your efforts and I am waiting for your next write ups thanks once again.

Pauleen
www.imarksweb.org

joy said...

One thing I learned in life is to love what makes you happy and to cherish every moment you spend with your family, friends or love ones because everything that we have now on earth is temporary. Well, thank you for inspiring us with your great art work.
Visit my site for a very wonderful offer.

n8fan.net

www.n8fan.net

andrea chiu said...

I am so glad to read your wonderful article. Im looking forward to read more of your works and posts. You did a good job! Try to visit my site too and enjoy.

triciajoy.com

www.triciajoy.com