Wednesday, 17 December 2014

Goddess line and new exhibition

It's been a busy time in the studio with a new line of goddess doll brooches proving to be very popular here in Oamaru.

Having last week successfully installed my art at Custom House Gallery, I'm now working on a new exhibition that began with some preliminary sketches a few weeks ago of Janet Frame.  



The initial idea actually came from a painting by Leonora Carrington called the Giantess, and to tease out the idea and evolve it further, I did a painting and several sketches showing the larger than life character of Janet Frame.  The painting I did is on the floor in the above photo, slap bang in the middle.  And that's where I really want to take it: author turned character via the visual medium of painting.  I want to imbue Janet with her own imagination: in particular with material derived from her posthumously published collection of essays, reports and reviews as well as excerpts from the speeches, interviews and published letters contained within Janet Frame: in her own words.


These and my work so far already go some way toward the final exhibition pieces and along with a fellow Oamaru artist whom I maybe collaborating with, I might be broadening this into more literary characters (and not necessarily NZ ones) so do watch this space.

Well, that's about it from me, so I'll leave you with some choice shots of a couple of other things I'm selling at Custom House, including my little robots again and some cuffs :-)


                                      





5 comments:

Sue Marrazzo said...

All are so FUN! LOVE the necklaces...A cool gift.

Debrina said...

Thanks Sue! They were fun to make too :-)

Gaby Bee said...

I wish you a merry Christmas, I wish you a merry Christmas, I wish you a merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. All in my best singing voice...which you are lucky you can’t hear....LOL

Beautiful creations, Debrina! Your necklaces are too cool!

Gaby xo

Debrina said...

Thanks sooo much Gaby! You have a very beautiful singing voice!!

Sharon Mitchell said...

Hi Debrina, Nice to meet you today! I just realised I saw your art a week ago and was admiring it! Love what you are doing with the Giantess and those ideas are great! I look forward to seeing more!
Sharon Mitchell